[Vision2020] an apology

heirdoug at netscape.net heirdoug at netscape.net
Tue Aug 29 20:14:56 PDT 2006

Keely,

I accept your apology.

I think.

Doug!

-----Original Message-----
From: kjajmix1 at msn.com
To: vision2020 at moscow.com
Sent: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 5:49 PM
Subject: [Vision2020] an apology

Visionistas,

In my response to Heirdoug after his "I'd rather have a live sodomite
or
Iraqi" comment a couple of days ago, I ripped into him for his gross
insensitivity and his apparent delight in causing offense when none is
necessary.

Doug then wrote to tell me that the origin of the "sodomites or Iraqis"
phrase was from an earlier post by another writer -- Doug just repeated
the
phrase to indicate by comparison his horror regarding abortion.  I
found the
phrase itself in the context he used it utterly nauseating in its
seeming
devaluing of the lives of ("even") homosexuals and Iraqis.

I was wrong in assuming that the phrase originated with him, and I
apologize.  I made a rush to judgment by presuming that the wording was
his
in describing two obvious examples of life he found somehow to be
"less-than," and I shouldn't have done it.  I also know that the
original
writer used those words as a rhetorical device to confirm Heirdoug's
prejudices, and in no way do I feel the disdain for him that I do for
Doug.

A more carefuly rendered judgment on my part is this:  Doug Farris,
writing
as Heirdoug, surely must understand that no amount of righteous
indignation
over abortion or any other wrong excuses the rash, gleeful, and
ill-considered comments that he is prone to make.   Neither his
position nor
the Spirit who informs it is honored by bad behavior that shows the
kind of
contempt for others that makes it hard to accept that he truly values
all
human life.

So . . . my overall criticism of him stands, but in this case, I blew
it by
assuming what I shouldn't have.

keely

All-in-one security and maintenance for your PC.  Get a free 90-day
trial!
http://www.windowsonecare.com/trial.aspx?sc_cid=msn_hotmail

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com