[Vision2020] Critical Mass, A Public Menace! Inconvenient Truth -- What WE gonna do

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 26 21:10:45 PDT 2006

Ted,

Why do you think that by itself a four-lane highway between Moscow and
Lewiston will lead to greater development?  What sort of development are you
talking about?

I don't think this one factor will make a difference in terms of development
by itself, or increase fuel use, unless all the cars end up driving
considerably faster; I doubt this will happen, given what I have seen and
know about the way the road is patrolled, so I don't accept your statement
that it will lead to increased fossil fuel use.

If you can explain to me why you think this is so, I'm willing to consider
what you're saying, but I'm not going to jump to that conclusion.  At this
point you've offered it as a conclusion, with no reasons for it.  If you
want me to address it, please provide some reasons that back up your
conclusion.

There are people both in the Valley and in Moscow who live in one place and
work in the other, and have no interest in living in the town in which they
work.  From '97 to '05, I worked full-time in Lewiston and lived here; now
I'm transitioning to working here most of the time.

During the years I commuted, I had no interest in living in Lewiston.  I'm
not knocking Lewiston (in case Dick or Tony  are out there), I just like
living here more.  And I know lots of folks in the Valley who hate Moscow
and don't want to live here.  It's a bearable commute, an easy one by
California standards, and there will always be some people willing to make
it if gas costs don't skyrocket.  But it's inconvenient enough that I don't
think herds of people are going to decide to live here and work there (or
vice versa) just because the highway is four lanes now.

So what is it about a four-lane highway that will increase development?  Why
should this conclusion be accepted on its face?  What will change in either
the Valley economy or the Moscow economy because the road is wider?  I have
no reason right now to assume that this particular highway improvement will
lead to greater development and the associated increase in emissions, absent
some other changes or factors.

I've said nothing in my posts to suggest that I think CO2 doesn't affect
global warning, so I'm confused that you'd attribute such an opinion to me;
I have no idea what your basis for this is.  I do think there's a
connection.  I haven't disagreed with what you are saying about encouraging
alternative transportation; I disagree with the value of pissing off drivers
to make a point.

My view on that point is similar to my view on flag burning.  I defend the
right to do either; I just think the method fails to win any converts, and
if that's your goal, it's a poor way to make your point.

OK, this has got to put me at the limit, so I'm out.

Sunil