[Vision2020] Inconvenient Truth -- What WE gonna do

Nils Peterson nils_peterson at wsu.edu
Thu Aug 24 06:26:20 PDT 2006

I'm not too surprised that there was not an outpouring of personal actions
to my previous question -- I'm about immobilized by the challenge as well.

Carbon neutral is an interesting concept, but knowing if something is carbon
neutral is hard, and, given that most things include a transportation
element, its going to be hard to be neutral.

Megan's veggie idea, as subsequently modified by other suggestions is one
that resonates for me -- eat lower on the carbon input chain, which means
eat local. That's something I can work on.

SO now,  I want to move the discussion out a level, what are WE, as Moscow,
gonna do?

I got a piece of good news last night, PCEI has converted a vehicle to
bio-diesel and they are talking about how to work with other fleets in town
to convert them, and have a local bio-diesel supply. I know a couple other
bio-diesel drivers around already and having a supply closer than Lewiston
would be welcome news to them.

The COOP gives a discount for getting there by foot. One of the businesses
in Alturas Park (Anatech maybe?) gives employees a financial incentive per
mile that they travel to work by foot power. WSU & UI run a bus between the
campuses and its free to students and employees (but UI almost cut the
service this summer -- sad statement on their green commitment)

What else can we, in whatever collective groups, begin doing?