[Vision2020] sex offender legislation

Debbie Gray graylex at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 24 00:02:26 PDT 2006

A friend of mine recently sent me a website about
child safety. While I was looking at it I found some
information about the Adam Walsh Act that was recently
signed (in July).

http://www.thesafeside.com/about/csa2005.asp
Of the 550,000 registered sex offenders nationally,
the whereabouts of at least 100,000 are currently
unknown. The Adam Walsh Act creates stricter
requirements for sex offender registration -- to
prevent offenders from slipping through the cracks and
hurting our children.

One of the most important features of the bill is the
creation of a national sex offender registry that will
be available on the Internet. The legislation also
calls for stricter prison sentences for offenders who
fail to register and keep their information current.
The offender will be assigned to one of three tiers;
the worst offenders will have to check-in more
frequently, and all offenders will have to register in
person.

Some highlights of the bill:

    * Establishes a comprehensive national system for
the registration of sex offenders
    * Establishes three tiers of sex offenders
    * Requires all jurisdictions to enact criminal
penalties for sex offenders who fail to comply with
registration requirements
    * Requires sex offenders to appear in person to
verify their registration
    * Imposes a fine and/or term of imprisonment for
up to 20 years on sex offenders who knowingly fail to
register
    * Makes registration as a sex offender a mandatory
condition of probation and supervised release
    * Eliminates the statute of limitations for
prosecutions of child abduction and felony sex
offenses against children