[Vision2020] An Inconvenient Truth: What you gonna do?

Megan Prusynski megan at meganpru.com
Wed Aug 23 08:28:20 PDT 2006

I haven't seen the movie yet (gasp!) since I've been traveling a lot
lately, but I do plan to see it. I find it rather funny that Al
Gore's lifestyle, like most politicians, is pretty much the opposite
of how we need to be living if we hope to combat global warming...
but at least he's willing to admit global warming is a serious
threat, and that it exists.

I think it is up to each individual to change their lifestyle and
make some sacrifices for the environment's sake, obviously waiting
for our government to take action on global warming isn't working so
well. Americans don't usually like to be told that they need to make
sacrifices, though, but there are a lot of little things we can do to
create positive change that are relatively easy. I've been trying
consciously to decrease my footprint the last few years, so I have
some ideas on where to start, but obviously these things need to
happen on a grand scale...

So here's what I've done recently in a small effort to make my
lifestyle line up with my ideals and try to curb global warming...

1. Went vegetarian. Best decision I have ever made. I won't discuss
all of the numerous reasons I made this decision (animal welfare,
aversion to factory farming, health, world hunger, beliefs, etc...)
but a major reason was the environment. Nearly half the water and 80%
of the agricultural land in this country are used to raise animals
for food. More than one-third of all the fossil fuels produced in the
US are used to raise animals for food. Eating lower on the food chain
is simply less wasteful: it takes about 20 times more energy to
produce meat than it does to produce plants for food. If more of us
ate a plant-based diet instead of a meat-based one, we would lower
our energy needs, contribute a hell of a lot less pollution, and save
precious water and land resources as well. (Check out http://
www.goveg.com/environment.asp for more info).

2. Converted my car to run on bio-fuels and invested in a bike
trailer. For in-town errands, my boyfriend and I use a bike with a
trailer that fits all our groceries. For road trips, we use our newly
converted VW bus that runs on waste veggie oil & bio-diesel. Bio-
fuels are carbon-neutral (the plants used to grow them compensate for
the carbon emitted when they are burned), have lower emissions, and
can be grown domestically, reducing our need for foreign oil (and
therefore war!). Any diesel vehicle can be converted to run on waste
vegetable oil by installing a kit with an extra veggie oil tank. If
you're interested, I'm sure my boyfriend (an engineering alumni from
UI) wouldn't mind making a living off of converting vehicles. Running
on grease is better for longer trips, since you have to warm up on
diesel or bio-diesel, and yes, the exhaust does smell like french
fries. Speaking of veggie oil, does anyone know of any restaurants
(other than the Breakfast Club, who graciously supplies us with oil
each week) that want a better way to recycle their waste vegetable
oil from fryers? Bio-fuels are only one of many many alternative
energy & fuel sources that I hope become more popular.

3. I'm in the process (always) of learning to live more simply, eat
more locally-grown food, and simply thinking about the environmental
consequences of every action. By being more conscious and spreading
that consciousness, we can make green living the norm. Society needs
to work towards sustainability, one person at a time.

Just thought I'd share my ideas on the subject of living more
sustainably and curbing global warming through a change in lifestyle.
What is everyone else doing to help this problem? :)

peace!

~megan

[Vision2020] Inconvenient Truth: What you gonna do?

Nils Peterson nils_peterson at wsu.edu
Tue Aug 22 06:40:42 PDT 2006

So did you see Al Gore's movie? My sister, the infamous 'Rock Doc' of
the
DNews went, prepared to debunk Gore's latest invention since the
Internet.
She came away saying the science was solid, but not saying she had any
actions in mind.

My immediate thoughts are along the lines of conservation rather than
running out to by a Prius.

Which folds into another thought that has passed through v2020. I
posted a
response to talk about making an 'internal bypass' of Hwy 8 along the
old RR
route between downtown and UI. Aaron Ament later told me he'd biked the
route to look closer.

If we were to heed Gore and cut car trips down we wouldn't need the
bypass.
Just a thought