[Vision2020] Inconvenient Truth: What you gonna do?

Philip Cook pcook818 at adelphia.net
Tue Aug 22 10:34:56 PDT 2006

> Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 06:40:42 -0700
> From: Nils Peterson <nils_peterson at wsu.edu>
> Subject: [Vision2020] Inconvenient Truth: What you gonna do?

> Which folds into another thought that has passed through v2020. I posted a
> response to talk about making an 'internal bypass' of Hwy 8 along the old RR
> route between downtown and UI. Aaron Ament later told me he'd biked the
> route to look closer.

In October 2000, when a landowner (Bestway Carpets & Storage) along the RR wanted to build storage units that encroached on the right-of-way, the Planning and Zoning Commission denied the request and the Transportation Commission was against it because it would preclude the alternative you describe. The City Council at the time didn't take either commission's advice and approved the request.

Hindsight's 20/20, another inconvenient truth.

Philip Cook
Moscow