[Vision2020] (was "license") men and abortion

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Tue Aug 22 08:01:28 PDT 2006

It is a true delight to read such a courageous post from a man taking
offense at and responsibility for male dominance in society.  James goes on
to correctly note what many on either side of the abortion debate have said:
  men have a disproportionate amount of influence not only in many private
sexual relationships, but in the public discussion of the "choice" issue
itself.

I say this as someone who believes that life begins at conception and that
each unborn child, like all people who have ever lived, is created in the
image of God, and I'd guess that James and I would come to the table with
differing perspectives and conclusions.  Still, he makes a point that is too
often lost -- discussions about "nature" are meaningless, really, without an
infusion of nurture that holds the woman's life in equal regard with the
baby she carries.  Men have dominated this debate with passionate cries of
concern for "unborn women," but all too often have proved to care little for
women, born or unborn.  I think the perspective of many men on the abortion
issue has been one that reveals an utter disregard for women and a profound
fear of their sexuality, and I think that if women took control over the
national discussion on when life begins and how it should end, we'd see a
society much more favorable to life from conception 'til natural death.

I know some will take offense at James' idea of men protecting women, but
I'll hazard a guess here:  from his previous posts and the tone of this one,
it seems clear that he's not talking about a fawning sort of adulation that
enables a man to "love" a woman without the messy, difficult business of
actually having to know and connect to her, nor is he calling for a veneer
of vigilante testosterone to save the day whenever life happens to one of
the women in his life.  I took what he said in the way I think he intended
it -- as a call for men to repent of domineering behavior, publicland
private, and to seek solutions  that nurture and honor women.  Lord knows
the problem in this society isn't that we've seen too much of that.

Thank you, James.  Tony will undoubtedly try to rip you to shreds, but he
won't succeed -- your heart and your intellect clearly have set a superior
tone in your discussion.

keely