[Vision2020] Celebrate freedom

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Aug 22 06:01:51 PDT 2006

Joltin' Joe Campbell stated:

"Still I long for the old days when respect for education, experience, and
people in general was more common among conservatives like yourself."

Ah, yes.  The old Barry Goldwater Republicans; the Republican Party when
integrity, honesty, and accountability were mentioned more often than as a
passing thought every election year.

"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to
take it all away."

- Barry Goldwater (1964)

"The Captain"

Captain, what do you think, I asked, of the part your soldiers play?
The Captain answered, I do not think. I do not think, I obey!
Do you think you should shoot a patriot down and help a tyrant slay?
The Captain answered, I do not think. I do not think, I obey!
Do you think your conscience was meant to die and your brains to rot away?
The Captain answered, I do not think. I do not think, I obey!
Then if this is your soldiers code, I cried, your mean unmanly crew,
And for all of your equipment, guns and braid, I'm more of a man than you.
For whatever my lot on earth may be and whether I swim or sink,
I can say with pride -I do not obey. I do not obey - I think!

- Author unknown

No one wins when freedom fails
The best men rot in filthy jails
And those who cried appease, appease,
Are hanged by those they tried to please.

- Author Unknown

Seeya round town, Moscow.

PS - Starting very, very soon (as in before the end of next week), vehicles
will be required to stop at the corner of Mountain View and D streets
(thanks to four of the six city council members).

"Stop" means just that.  STOP.  No rolling, California stop.

For an analogy:  If I were to beat you about your head and shoulders with a
two-by-four, would you prefer that I stop ore merely slow down?

"Implicit in the term 'national defense' is the notion of defending those
values and ideas which set this Nation apart. . . . It would indeed be
ironic if, in the name of national defense, we would sanction the subversion
of . . . those liberties . . . which makes the defense of the Nation
worthwhile."

- Chief Justice Earl Warren (1967)