[Vision2020] candidate questionnaire--responses

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Fri Aug 18 13:15:33 PDT 2006

Hi Donovan,

What you may be referring to is a prohibition on raising user fees
more than 5% without a public hearing. This item is on Monday's
Council agenda:

3.       Public Hearing - City User Fee Increases Over 5% - Don Palmer
Staff prepared the proposed FY 2006-2007 Fee Resolution.  According
to Idaho law, a public hearing must be held if individual fee
increases exceed 5% of the fees in the previous year.  The FY 2007
budget proposal is based on this Resolution.  Increases of 5% or
greater include:  water, sewer and sanitation utility fees; all new
Community Development fees; engineering fees; most license fees;
Farmers' Market fees; and all Parks and Recreation's existing, new
and special program fees as detailed on the Resolution.

ACTION:  Approve the Resolution; reject the Resolution; or take such
other action deemed appropriate.

And you're right: If you live in a $300,000 house you are taxed on
less than that due to the homeowner's exemption, now raised to the
first $75,000 of value or 50% whichever is lesser. So, the owner of a
$300,000 owner-occupied house would pay taxes on $225,000 of value.

Mark