[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter for August 18, 2006

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Aug 18 12:57:43 PDT 2006

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter for August 18, 2006 from UI
President White.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends

Aug. 18, 2006

Dear Friends,

Do you recall the very first time you went as a student to the University of
Idaho, or to some other university or college, and the invigorating mixture
of feelings that you experienced? This week, as thousands of students return
to our campuses, you have an ideal opportunity to reflect on that pivotal
moment in your life.

As a first generation student, I recall the excitement and anticipation, as
well as the worry over finances and living arrangements. Most vivid is the
memory of my puzzlement over Mom's tears, and Dad's pride, touched with
somberness, as he stuffed an extra $10 in my pocket for pizza before they
drove away.

At the time, I did not have a clue about what was going to happen to me. I
would learn about topics I didn't even know existed. I would meet people
from all corners of the world, and while expecting only differences, would
discover many commonalities. For the first time, I would be exposed to
professors who were amazingly bright, interesting and stern. At the same
time, each would be supportive when I stubbed my toe along the way. I would
discover the level of curiosity, intellect and drive that I possessed, as
well as the joy of taking lecture notes and exams with no sleep. There would
be learning experiences in and out of the classroom and labs where I could
confront social, political, economic, environmental, personal and ethical
choices about the issues of the time - in a way that not only informed me,
but encouraged me to form and express my own views and opinions.

As we welcome our students to the University of Idaho, take a moment to
reflect on your own experience, and also share my pride and gratitude for
the faculty and staff of this fine institution. They work day and night to
create the transformational University of Idaho experience - an experience
that prepares the next generation to live, work, compete and prosper in this
ever-changing, wonderful world.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

The University of Idaho College of Law's Sherman J. Bellwood program for
2006, Oct. 12 on the Moscow campus, will feature a dialogue on "National
Security and the Constitution" with former U.S. Senators Gary Hart and Alan
Simpson. In addition to the keynote event, two panel discussions are
scheduled. To find out more, go to: www.law.uidaho.edu.

Jim C.P. Liou, professor of civil engineering, has been awarded a Fulbright
Scholar grant to conduct research at National Taiwan University during the
2006-07 academic year. Liou will study the measurement and prediction of
local shear stress in aquatic environments. He is one of approximately 800
U.S. faculty and professionals who will travel abroad to some 150 countries
in the coming academic year through the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The 53rd season of the Idaho Repertory Theatre was a smash hit. One of the
longest-running professional summer theatres in the Northwest, IRT produces
four plays during a five-week season every summer. "We're very grateful to
all of you for your support - and look forward to the next 53 years of
theatre on the Palouse," said David Lee-Painter, chair of the Department of
Theatre and Film. Private donations to IRT go toward the purchase of
costumes and stage sets for future theatre seasons. To learn more about
supporting the theatre arts and Idaho Repertory Theatre at the University of
Idaho, contact Jennie Hall at (208) 885-5013 or jenniej at uidaho.edu. Web
site: www.uidaho.edu/givetoidaho.

Take care, Moscow (you, too, Vandals).

UI '96