[Vision2020] how"real" eminent domain works in Idaho

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Tue Aug 15 07:21:12 PDT 2006

This in from the Idaho State Journal in
Pocatello. A clause in the Idaho Constitution
allows timber and mining companies to take your
private land for access purposes to theirs.

Mark

Aug 14, 3:33 AM EDT

Simplot suggests condemning land for mine access

POCATELLO, Idaho (AP) -- Agribusiness
conglomerate J.R. Simplot Co. may try to get a
judge to condemn part of an eastern Idaho
couple's 467-acre property so the company can
build a road for a proposed expansion of its
phosphate mine near here.

So far, Peter and Judy Riede have refused to sell
rights-of-way to any portion of their land in
rural Caribou County to Simplot. They say a haul
road for ore from the Smoky Canyon Mine would
damage their land, which has two creeks featuring
20-inch Yellowstone cutthroat trout.

After the Riedes declined an offer of $2.1
million from Simplot, the company suggested in
public documents filed with the U.S. Forest
Service that it could simply use 110-year-old
provisions in the Idaho Constitution that give
mining companies the right to cross private lands
to reach their properties.

Simplot, which has $3 billion in annual revenue,
also broached eminent domain in a June 9 letter
to the couple. It asked them to reconsider the
offer, and said if they didn't the company would
"move forward with pursuing alternatives that
allow Simplot to appropriately develop our
phosphate mineral leases."

"We were sick. We were literally in shock," said
Peter Riede, while casting a homemade fishing fly
into Crow Creek. "We had no idea this was
allowable under Idaho law."

In its review of Simplot's mine-expansion
proposal, the U.S. Forest Service - which leases
the mining land to the company - will likely pick
the most cost-effective, least-destructive route
allowing Simplot to reach its operation.

Since the agency is considering four proposed
transportation routes, Simplot officials say the
discussion of eminent domain is premature. Access
through the Riede property is just one of several
options, spokesman Rick Phillips said.

"In draft comments it was pointed out that
eminent domain is a recognized Idaho
constitutional vehicle that can be used," said
Phillips. "Does that mean we're gearing up for
eminent domain? Heavens no. The final draft has
not been released yet."

Don Copple, a Boise-based lawyer, said eminent
domain was likely used often by mining outfits in
Idaho's early history, when the state was pushing
development of its natural resources and
lawmakers gave companies rights to help them
extract minerals. Today, other private
industries, including utilities, rely on eminent
domain.

"Look at Idaho Power," Copple said. "They condemn
for power lines all the time."

Conservation groups contend that Simplot would be
subverting the law if it applied eminent domain
in this case.

Marv Hoyt, Idaho director of the Greater
Yellowstone Coalition, said the provision was
added to the state constitution in the 1890s to
protect small miners from larger operations that
staked claims just to block access.

Now, he said, "The big Goliath is beating up on David."

The road would run from the mine to an existing
milling site, where Simplot mixes phosphate ore
with water and pipes it to a plant in Pocatello.
The route at issue would cut through about 11
acres of the Riedes property.

"This alternative would have the least amount of impact," Phillips said.

The Riedes say the impact will be significant.
They hope to build a 3,000-square-foot home near
the proposed road site.

"We had a lot of trouble finding the place we
wanted," Peter Riede said. "Places like this are
pretty hard to come by."

---

Information from: Idaho State Journal, http://www.journalnet.com

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our
Privacy Policy.