[Vision2020] Poor Sportsmanship

David Williams davidwilliams365 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 14 11:28:18 PDT 2006

Justin,

First off, the thread of discussion turned from Philadelphia sports teams to
Phill(y) fans.  So the ro(w)diness of fans has nothing to do with the
success of the organization.  But organizational success wasn't the point of
EJ's post.  It was a pointed, narrow, uninformed, inadequate listing of
Phildelphia fans atrocities against opposing teams, fans and Santa Claus,
though they've done MUCH better than booeing Father Christmas, of which I am
very proud.  Albert Belle severely beat his wife and Michael Irvin was a
coke-head accused of raping a woman with several Cowboy teamates.  I pointed
out that Philly fans, though rowdy at times, are much better than other
cities' fans (i.e. NBA brawls, Chicago Cubs fans, Raider Fans, Yankees fans
vs. Bo' Sox fans...).  But in reference to your question concerning how to
quantify the success of a franchise...  The Yankees are the greatest team in
Baseball history simply b/c they won more championships than everyone else.
Joe  Torre, considered one of the game's best managers, is supposedly on the
hot seat for failing to win the Fall Classic the last few years.  Same for
Green Bay, San Francisco, and Dallas in the NFL.  You play to win in the
pros.  Why do coaches who consistently get to the playoffs, or have
above-.500 records get canned??  B/c they fail to win the big one.  I'm
sorry, but the Mariners will never be considered a great team, even if they
win 116 games again in a season, until they can translate the winning into a
W.S. victory.  Thats the rule of pro sports.  In regards to the Seahawks vs.
Eagles, the Eagles had dominated the NFC before last year and the T.O.
fiasco.  Granted, they never won the Super Bowl, and the NFC championship
once, but thats still better than Seattle has managed to do.  Nothing huge,
but still a fact.  It will be interesting to see if the Seahawks can build
on last year's success, and go on to dominate their conference.  But in the
meantime, I'll be cheering for the Eagles.  BTW, the NFL season start in 4
weeks.  Any predictions??