[Vision2020] Nick, Saundra and the Princess

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Mon Aug 14 09:00:37 PDT 2006

As someone who owes her very life to Christ's atonement on the cross -- yep,
body piercing saved my life! -- I have a few thoughts:

I've been staying out of this thread not because of disinterest -- some of
you may recall that I have rather strong views on religion -- but because
I'm up to mine in alligators trying to coordinate the remodelling of a
house, find a renter for our apartment, and accommodate yet another wave of
houseguests.  It's one of the few times in my life when I've been too busy
to wade in to something that matters greatly to me.  But before the painter
requires my attention this morning, I'd like to make a few points, provoked
as I am by Tony's response to Saundra, below.

It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that I am in near total agreement
with the theology espoused by Princess LackingHuevos, who, in his/her
anonymity, has done an able job of defending the classic, orthodox Christian
doctrine of Christ's atonement on the cross.  I could, however, do without
the Princess' continued harangue toward my friend Nick Gier, who doesn't
agree with the classic, orthodox Christian doctrine of Christ's atonement --
in fact, he finds it rather off-putting.  Why this surprises, much less
offends, the Princess would be puzzling were it not for said royalty's
history of disrespect and rudeness toward those who hold to beliefs he
doesn't, both from inside or outside of the fold.  I think it's clear to all
that while Sushitushi is an apt defender of the doctrines of the faith, the
tone taken indicates that he/she is also a poor imitator of the One those
doctrines point to.

Nick Gier isn't a Christian.  That's not a judgment on my part; it's not to
say that he's not kind, gracious, loving, gentle and merciful.  He is all of
those things, as are many people who don't claim Christ as their Savior.
Those who call on the name of the Lord Jesus are rightfully counted as
Christians, and those who don't, aren't.  If Nick has made it clear that he
has found satisfaction and solace in other faith traditions apart from the
essential doctrines of Christianity, then why would anyone who claims to be
a Christian take such a nasty approach in acknowledging their doctrinal
differences?  This isn't the pastor of First Evangelical Christian Community
Tabernacle who's denying the historic teachings of the faith -- that would
be worrisome -- but a scholar who is not a professing Christian.  Nick Gier
isn't an "enemy" who needs to be contained or disarmed.  He's a man who
believes that the things Sushitushi believes are lacking in reason,
distasteful, or, for whatever reason, simply not for him.  There is nothing
about that that should invite snotty, mocking rejoinders from those who do
believe.  Nick and I are friends; he admires me and I admire him, even as we
disagree on virtually every point of evangelical theology.  God forbid I
should attempt to assert my "rightness" apart from common decency or
Spirit-filled righteousness.

Now, I don't know if the Princess is Doug Jones, Chris Witmer, Ben Merkle or
any other leader or defender of the Kirk.  I don't much care.  I do lament
that the Princess is unable to fairly and honestly belly up to the bar by
using his/her real name, but I suppose it's tempting to want to revel in
rudeness without the messy consequences of doing so without the cloak of
anonymity.  His arguments might be mature and well-thought out, but it's a
little difficult to be swayed by someone who can't bring him/herself to
using their given moniker.  And I'm assuming it's someone from the Kirk,
because of the fervor of support for the leadership and, sadly, because of
the cogency of the argument -- most evangelical churches have not raised an
army of able, apt defenders of the Gospel, and if they did, I imagine they'd
be glowing with pride and unable to do so anonymously.

In my reading over the weekend, I came upon something that I think puts it
all into context far better than I have, and will perhaps be a benefit to
those who practice imprecatory prayer, are dismissive of their theological
"enemies," and exalt classical academia over common decency:

"Bless those who persecute you, don't curse them, pray that God will bless
them.  Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep.
Live in harmony with each other.  Don't be too proud to enjoy the company of
ordinary people.  And don't think you know it all!  Never pay back evil with
more evil.  Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honorable.
  Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone . . . " (Romans
12:14-18)

keely