[Vision2020] public school job training

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 10 08:05:13 PDT 2006

Keely,

 I never said it would be easy to implement. In fact,  I think it would be really tough work, work beyond the willingness or  capability of many people in the MSD. You are right we would have to  replace many of them with people that were more highly motivated and  inventive then just throwing the taxpayer's dollars at their problems.

  Your email, as usual, had many factual errors in it. One important one  was where you say that teachers starting salaries are set by the state.  This is incorrect, they only set the lowest salary possible for a  starting teachers, which is what MSD pays its teachers. If it was  lower, you would be paying them lower, no doubt. There is NO law  preventing the MSD Board and yourself from paying teachers more money,  you just didn't want to, so don't go that route.

 But I do  think it is feasible to change our school system that has been  operating as though we are graduating students that will enter American  Society in the year 1906.

 I am also aware you and the  local school board cannot change much, because the Idaho State  Legislature doesn't want to give you any power, quiet frankly, I can  honestly see why in many regards since MSD has demonstrated a poor  ability to use public dollars wisely. It needs to be done on a state  level.

 I have been to no less than 12 public schools in  my lifetime. I have found many obese and unhealthy PE and health  teachers, math teachers that could not add, and coaches that were  trying to teach government, history and geography. I had many teachers  where putting a mirror under their nose was the only way to know if  they were still alive, they never did diddly, never tried to motivate  students, be creative, interact, they just sit there and say read the  chapter and answer the question on the worksheet.

 I think  teachers should be paid a good wage at start, say $32-36K depending on  the field. Then pay more based on performance and experience. This way  a good motivated teacher that is successful can make a good living, and  the rotten ones that just sit around and do nothing cannot get paid  well just because their ass has been in a chair longer, they can stay  at $32K a year. This is the way the real world works.

 It  also isn't solely about money. St. Mary's way outperforms MSD and it  operates on a very tiny budget and against a hostile over regulatory  city government. And St. Mary's kids are not just the gifted ones.  Children can be successful without always throwing more money at the  problems of educating them.

 Having school for 14 years,  from 5 years old to 19 years old would afford two more years of  education for students, and give them a vocational skill or two years  of college to help them make a living when they graduate.

  In terms of greater funding, hospitals, truck driving companies,  plumbing companies, HVAC companies, Computer companies, architecture  firms, and many others are hurting for qualified and trained workers,  why are our schools not matching these students with these jobs?

    Best,

    _DJA

keely emerinemix <kjajmix1 at msn.com> wrote:  I'm not on the school board any more, although I am still vice-chair of
Region II for the Idaho School Boards Association.  I'm fairly well
acquainted, I think, with a few things regarding this issue.  One is that
Donovan's ideas, below, while I'm sure sincerely held, are not as easy to
implement as he'd like us to think.  The other thing I know is that arguing
with Donovan is a fruitless proposition.  Still, his ideas prompt me to
comment, however briefly:

Year-round school cannot be accomplished by superintendent or school board
fiat.  Parents, teachers, administrators, non-certificated staff and
virtually everyone in the community would be affected, and to think that
staging year-round schools is easy to decide and simple to implement is
absurd -- no matter what the benefit, it's not like staging a prom, a
community forum, or, as Donovan so indelicately put it in an earlier post,
referring to the Facility Committee's work on last year's bond, a teenage
pot-smoking circle.  Perhaps there's benefit to having class throughout the
year.  However, there is no benefit, or justice, to assuming that that
hasn't been decided on solely to tick off constituents -- most of whom would
give new meaning to "ticked off" if the district proposed it.

I believe that teachers generally earn too little.  However, beginning
salaries are mandated by the legislature, and if higher-paid teachers earn
"two times what the average household in Latah County makes," then the
problem is not teacher pay.  I suspect that Donovan's figures include
single-student households, but I don't know.  What I do know is that no one
I'm acquainted with has ever gone into K-12 teaching because of the windfall
salary opportunities.

Last, the idea that schools are requiring courses that are "useless in
modern society" AND that they should adopt a 14-year model to allow them to
socialize and train children in citizenship, work skills, social skills,
Ninja and bowstaff skills, hygiene, reading, composition, math, science, and
the etiquette of community email forum usage is puzzling.  The federal
government, which, under Ronald Reagan,  considered eliminating a
Cabinet-level Department of Education has now become heavy-handed and
stifling in its control of public education.  Curriculum options are
narrowing because of No Child Left Behind, just as the public and the
private sector are  demanding increased access to job training.  A curious
thing here is that when colleges, universities, and private enterprise are
willing and able to step alongside the schools to provide job training,
communities often find that they lack the physical facilities required to
house such programs.   Auto mechanics, computer training, nursing and EMT
training, shop and vocational courses, electronics and other programs cannot
be housed in buildings that are inadequate even for their current usage, and
when voters choose not to invest in new, modern, technologically forward
buildings, it's difficult to assume that the private sector will shoulder
the entire cost.  And even if they did, students enrolled in public schools
still have federal and state requirements that have to be met -- a reality
that can be difficult for private enterprise to accommodate, and evidently
impossible for Donovan to understand.

So I write this more for those who might be inclined to jump on the "schools
don't care about job training" bandwagon.  They do.  Often, though, those
who yell the loudest against public schools are those who refuse to lend
their support when given an opportunity to do so.

keely