[Vision2020] FW: Countdown to 25,000

Chris Storhok cstorhok at co.fairbanks.ak.us
Tue Aug 8 16:34:14 PDT 2006

Wayne,
Not only has BP failed to maintain their lines; the Federal Energy
Regulatory Commission (FERC), EPA, and the state have not performed
inspections or even requested a paperwork trail showing that inspections
have been performed.   The SMART PIG (large device sent through the line
with metallurgical equipment that tests for corrosion - not politician
or corporate types) has not been inserted into this part of the system
since 1992.   There is a long trail of unemployed regulators, both state
and federal, who had asked the wrong questions or demanded tests and
suddenly lost their jobs.
American should demand congressional hearings into the failure of the
North Slope system.  National candidates should include in their
platforms demands for inspections of not only the Alaska system but
other lines throughout the country.  It was not too many years ago that
a gas pipeline explosion on the west side of Washington State killed
some children.  We hear of refinery fires, pipeline leaks and so forth
yet it seems that no one is paying attention.  Our infrastructure is
falling apart around us because our government has failed in its role as
a regulator; this is not the first failure and certainly will not be the
last.

Chris