[Vision2020] An Iraqi Veteran's Testimony

Dick Sherwin rvrcowboy at clearwire.net
Tue Aug 8 11:34:25 PDT 2006

Melissa,

No, I haven't "polled" any number of returning Iraqi war vetrans, however, I
do know many personally.  They are not all of the same opinion about the
situation there but almost none of them are negative about their service
time in Iraq and most are very willing to return, if needed.

Most of the "bitchers and whinners" as I referred to them earlier, are not
even people who served in Iraq.  They are people who stayed home but
disagree with every policy decision of our government.  Many of them
disagree solely on the basis of their hatred for our President.  This is
solely my opinion but I believe most of them need to get a life!  I am also
certain that statement will bring hoots and hollers from many here in the
vision but none-the-less it is my honest opinion.

I respect all our vetrans of Iraq (and all the others also) and am grateful
for their service, regardless of their opinions on the topic.  From my
admittedly limited perspective, most of the Iraqi vets I know support the
war effort but despise the fact the war is being fought in the halls of
Congress, in the media and in the court of public opinion more aggressively
than on the battlefield.  Most of them, as I, believe this war would be over
if only the military were allowed to win it without all the input of the
bitchers and whinners.  There is no such thing as a politically correct war
in the real world, it only exists in the minds of idiots.

If we are going to fight any war by the rules of political correctness then
I agree with the antis, it is stupid to fight to begin with, we may as well
just surrender at the beginning and get it over with.  It is impossible to
win a war under such conditions.  It would be like boxing with you hands
tied behind your back and not being allowed to head butt or kick because
that wouldn't be politically correct.

The only people interested in this kind of war are those who enjoy
displaying the body count regularlly as proof of their anti war agenda,
while claiming to support those who are dying of political correctness.  I
may be from the old school but in my opinion, if we are going to go to war,
we either get-er-done or get out.  I see no sense in dragging the killing
out over a long periond of time just to satisfy some politically correct
notion of a humane war.  I still believe in winners and loosers and keeping
score, but hey... that's just me.

May God bless and protect your brother and bring peace to your family.

Dick S.