[Vision2020] Brady, Otter, and "family values"

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sun Aug 6 08:42:21 PDT 2006

OK, so I sit down to respond to the "family values, Brady vs. Otter" thread,
and then Joan's post below pops up.  I might as well just go back to bed.

She nailed it.

Family values include, of course, not cheating on one's spouse or beating
one's children.  Presumably it includes extending hospitality to not only
family but neighbors, co-workers, and strangers.  Even strangers with
accents and hard-to-pronounce last names.  It might even be said that
"family values" would include not tearing families apart by sending young
men and women off to a poorly-planned, ill-conceived, unjustified war.  So
there may be many ways of demonstrating family values, and not many of them
involve sex.

If we were at a Battle of the Bands featuring, say, "The Licentious Bushes,
Featuring W and His Daughters" and "The Libidinous Kennedys With Clinton on
Sax," we would probably all get a pretty good idea of how not to do it, and
no fanbase would be able to gloat about the pristine behaviors of their
faves.  But what would it matter?  As Joan said, there are, in the audience,
real families being crushed under the frenzy -- helplessly dragged into the
mosh pit, as it were, and battered by the things that the bandmembers
actually could resolve, if only they'd get off the stage, roll up their
sleeves, and start singing a different tune.   People in the audience are
literally dying to hear one.

keely