[Vision2020] The Free Market

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 6 08:06:54 PDT 2006

I wanted to raise this topic, because I've seen it bandied about here on
the list.

In my opinion, the "free market" (as I understand it) is a cold, mean
place that cares nothing about ethics, employee rights, the environment,
etc.  It's a consequence of this idea that "business" is somehow
different in the history of human affairs.  You know - "it's just
business".  It's ok to do anything you can within the law (or outside
the law if you can get away with it) as long as it's in the name of
"profit" or it helps the stockholders.  Think "robber barons" to get the
general idea.

So, how is the "free market" supposed to work?  I see it bandied about
as this Great Thing, but I just don't see it.  What would happen if the
government sat back and took out all legislation involving the
regulation of monopolies, the imposition of environmental controls, the
minimum wage, and all other government intervention in this area?  What
would this mythical market look like?  Would the world really be a
better place?  And for whom?

Paul