[Vision2020] being thankful -- and alternative transportation

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Fri Aug 4 10:26:25 PDT 2006

Over the last few months I've traveled to Salt Lake City, Atlanta, Munich, Salzberg, Slovenia, Lincoln City, Portland, Boise, McCall, Seattle, and Bellingham. (3 conferences, 2 weddings, and 2 baseball games, among other things.) These trips have made me realize how blessed I am to live in Moscow! Complaints about construction on Third and Sixth? Try getting from Bellingham to Rt. 90 during rush hour!

Currently we don't have any real transportation problems. Yet if the population continues to increase at roughly 2% per year, we will have transportation problems at sometime in the future. Unless we think ahead.

I like the recent conversations on the V about alternative forms of transportation. We need to make it easier to walk, bike, or ride buses around town, for instance. We should encourage people to use alternative forms of transportation and educate them on how to do so. I'm sure the bus, for instance, would be a convenient form of transportation for many folks if they only knew more about these options.

And what about a rail between Moscow and Pullman (Donovan's idea, I think)? I traveled via rail throughout Europe and it was wonderful. (Lots of bike riders and small cars there, too!) Also, there is just no comparison between Portland (which has rail travel) and Seattle (which currently does not) in terms of public transportation.

--
Joe Campbell