[Vision2020] Reducing cars in town

Steven Basoa sbasoa at moscow.com
Thu Aug 3 13:27:41 PDT 2006

I just read an article about The Smart car (Busines 2.0, Aug. 2006).
It's eight feet long, 61-horsepower, inline 3 cylinder turbocharged
engine and gets 47 mpg in city and 70 mpg on the highway.  It's "a
Mercedes sub-brand of "micro-class" cars that's currently available
in virtually every Western nation except the United States."
Mercedes expects it to hit the US market sometime in 2008.

The reviewer was very impressed with the car.  He said it is
"surprisingly roomy and, true to it's name, cleverly designed."
Would you expect anything less from Mercedes?

There is an outfit in Santa Rosa, California that has been buying
them from 3rd party brokers and modifying them to meet US
regulations.  They cost about $12,500 in Europe but after the
modifications for the US, they cost about $25,000.  This company
apparently has a back-log of 100,000 orders.

-SB