[Vision2020] How are you best notified?

Jennifer McFarland jmcfarland at latah.id.us
Thu Aug 3 11:13:51 PDT 2006

Visionaries,

In the context of the discussions about all the road work around Moscow and
on Highway 95 and in several other discussions over the past year or so, a
separate topic has started that I think merits its own thread: Notification.
Some are upset because they didn't think they were properly notified about
the road work, others have been upset because they didn't believe they were
properly warned about sex offenders.  Some have questioned notifying of
extra patrols or emphasis enforcements.  Many think publishing pictures in
the hot sheets is irresponsible-others requested it.  People have boycotted
the Daily News or the Tribune for personal or political reasons.  A huge
number of people get satellite or direct TV and do not receive the local TV
station (KLEW out of Lewiston).  XM or Sirius (sp. ?) radio has replaced
settings on our AM or FM dials.  Some people do not have internet access.
So here are my questions for anyone who wants to ante up:

1.	Keeping in mind that many organizations and governmental agencies do
not have budget lines for advertising, where and how should those agencies
notify the public of important events, disasters, incidents, or happenings?
2.	How accessible should representatives from the agencies be for
questions?  (This question is selfish because I publish my contact numbers
but enjoy having a private life a few days a month. Most public officials do
not publish their home and cell phone numbers).
3.	If one agency is already responsible for publicizing certain things
(i.e. Idaho State Police is responsible for publicizing the sex offender
registry information), should other agencies (i.e. the local law enforcement
agency) be held responsible when the public doesn't receive the information
or when the information given does not conform to what the public
expects/wants?
4.	It is often policy in certain agencies to notify the public of
events/incidents/happenings in the local newspaper (in Moscow that is the
Daily News).  If the newspaper does not publish the notification, who should
be held responsible for the public not being aware of an event/incident,
etc.?

Since I took the appointment as PIO, these questions have been stumbling
blocks in my daily operations.  Although I think I have done a pretty good
job of getting information out, I receive complaints daily, and I know I
have a lot of room for growth and improvement.  I appreciate your answers or
discussions on these questions-anything to help me do my job better.
Thanks!

--Jennie

PIO Jennifer L. McFarland
Latah County Sheriff's Office
Public Information Officer
PO Box 8068
Moscow, Idaho 83843
(208) 882-2216
Fax (208) 883-2281
 <http://www.latah.id.us/Dept/Sheriff_Main.htm>
http://www.latah.id.us/Dept/Sheriff_Main.htm

Truth is the summit of being; justice is the application of it to affairs.
***Ralph Waldo Emerson