[Vision2020] apology and pedestrian and bicycle traffic

Tom Ivie the_ivies3 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 1 17:07:13 PDT 2006

First, I must apologize for my quick and sarcastic comment about city administrators living inside the city of Moscow.  It was a cheap shot and unbecoming for a gentleman and I would like to thank a true friend who will remain nameless for pointing this out to me.  I do realize that the city and the state of Idaho do try to coordinate their efforts but sometimes things just don't work out. Someone did mention the inconvenience of all the street work as an opportunity to further pedestrian and bicycle use.  So to that, I give you this:

  Bicycle and Pedestrian Provisions of the Federal-aid Program

  Section 217 of Title 23 of the U.S. Code calls for the integration of bicycling and walking into the transportation mainstream. More importantly, it enhances the ability of communities to invest in projects that can improve the safety and practicality of bicycling and walking for everyday travel.
  In 1991, Congress passed landmark transportation legislation, the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act (ISTEA), that recognized the increasingly important role of bicycling and walking in creating a balanced, intermodal transportation system.
  The National Bicycling and Walking Study, published by the U.S. Department of Transportation in 1994, translated this renewed interest in nonmotorized travel into two specific goals: to double the percentage of trips made by foot and bicycle while simultaneously reducing the number of crashes involving bicyclists and pedestrians by 10 percent.
  Subsequent legislation provides the funding, planning, and policy tools necessary to create more walkable and bicycle-friendly communities.
  A bicycle transportation facility is "a new or improved lane, path, or shoulder for use by bicyclists and a traffic control device, shelter, or parking facility for bicycles." The definition of a pedestrian includes not only a person traveling by foot but also "any mobility impaired person using a wheelchair." 23 USC Section 217 (j)(1)

  you can find more information at
  http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/bikeped/bp-broch.htm