[Vision2020] Colin Powell: UN Speech "A blot" On His Record

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 15:54:26 PDT 2006

Tony, Nick et. al.

I don't think it matters to Tony what defense Nick offers to Tony's list of
objections to Nick's post on the Bush administrations deceptions regarding
the intelligence and facts used to justify the US invasion and occupation of
Iraq.

Tony appears to be following the old adage "don't confuse me with the facts,
my mind's made up."

Perhaps Tony would believe Colin Powell?

Odd that we don't hear much about Colin Powell in the media recently.  Is it
that liberal leftist media bias (tongue in cheek alert!) that keeps his
critical comments about the pre-war Iraq WMD/terrorism intelligence of the
Bush administration off the headlines?  Really though, it's probably more
that Colin Powell is a loyal soldier who does not want to slam his former
boss too much in public!  Note below how he pushes the blame for the false
intelligence to those who were "not senior people."  Of course the "senior
people," meaning Bush, Condi Rice, Cheney, Rumsfeld, et. al., should have
been listening to all credible sources of intelligence on Iraq, and offered
Colin Powell all the best information before he went before the UN, or they
were not doing their job very well, were they?

Does the "buck stop" on Bush's desk, Tony?  Maybe Bush does not have the
integrity of a Harry S. Truman!

Colin Powell thinks intelligence reports were false that he was given by the
Bush administration regarding Iraq WMDs presenting an immanent threat to the
USA, intelligence that he presented before the UN before the Iraq invasion.
He also states quite emphatically that "...he had "never seen evidence to
suggest" a connection between the September 11, 2001 terror attacks in the
United States and the Saddam regime."

His opinion should give die hard Bush loyalists pause, loyalists who
continue to insist Bush has no or limited culpability for the false
intelligence, if indeed they even think that there was false
intelligence, that led the USA into this foolish war.  He was Secretary of
State during W. Bush's first term, the general and military architect who
led the first gulf war to push Iraq out of Kuwait, the war that Colin Powell
insisted be fought with a clear exit strategy, the war that former President
Bush senior had the sense to end after the mission was truly accomplished,
rather than getting sucked into a nation building mess by going all the way
to Baghdad to remove Saddam, as some wanted.

Too bad a man of Colin Powell's integrity was duped by the Bush
administration into making a fool of himself before the UN and the whole
world!

Will Tony ask Colin Powell for his "proof" that he was, in Colin Powell's
words, "misinformed" regarding the pre-war Iraq WMD intelligence he
presented to the UN?:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200509/s1456650.htm

Former US secretary of state Colin Powell says his United Nations speech
making the case for the US-led war on Iraq was "a blot" on his record.

Mr Powell has also said that he had "never seen evidence to suggest" a
connection between the September 11, 2001 terror attacks in the United
States and the Saddam regime.

In an interview with American ABC TV news to be broadcast on Friday (US
time), Mr Powell said "it's a blot" on his record.

"I'm the one who presented it on behalf of the United States to the world,
and (it) will always be a part of my record. It was painful. It's painful
now," he said.

He said he felt "terrible" at being misinformed.

Some members of the US intelligence community "knew at that time that some
of these sources were not good, and shouldn't be relied upon, and they
didn't speak up," Mr Powell said.

"These are not senior people, but these are people who were aware that some
of these resources should not be considered reliable," he said.

"I was enormously disappointed."

Colin Powell is disappointed.

What about you, Tony?

More on Colin Powell and his UN Iraq WMD speech, Feb. 5, 2003, used to
justify the US invasion:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/08/19/powell.un/

Ted Moffett