[Vision2020] Water: do the little things first; & are we the cause

Nils Peterson nils_peterson at wsu.edu
Wed Apr 26 07:05:17 PDT 2006

On 4/26/06 6:34 AM, "Matt Decker" <mattd2107 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> We need to save water or minimize the amount of usage or finds an alternate
> source WITHOUT halting growth.
> Matt

Solomon wrote (in part):
Wanapum: Used to be Moscow, sole source of water until 1960. Well levels
dropped from 1930 (beginning of record keeping) until pumping ceased in 1960
with well levels in essential free fall as the aquifer was drained. It took
30 years to recover, but by 1990 it was recharged. Score one for human
caused decline. (Pumping resumed in 1990 and well levels are again falling,
following roughly the same curve as the previous pumping period which
indicates a dry spell coming for Wanapum wells in about 15-20 years. The
Wanapum currently provides @ 30% of Moscow water.)

Both these points help me. I think Decker is right, this conversation seems
to show that the only politically palatable solution is one that does not
impede other values, such as growth. Solomon gives us an answer to my
question, when will the bathtub go dry? -- we are using a growing amount of
water and in 15-20 years 30% of the supply will go off line. (Now, we might
just drill more deep wells and keep going but the fiscal bump of needing to
spend more on water infrastructure might be a good wake-up call.)

So to the question, what do we do?
It seems to me that moves to address the issue need to by systemic, not
acute. They need to be voluntary and/or market driven and not imposed. They
need to minimize their impact on other values, while providing re-education
on those values where possible.

The toilet swap plan discussed earlier seems to fit the voluntary and market
driven criteria.
Simple voluntary conservation measures, especially the lowest cost moves to
reduce irrigation of lawns also seem to fit.

Adopting a water budget and enforcing sticking to it is not so politically
easy, and will be opposed as anti-growth or anti-other values. The City has
already gone part way with the PBAC agreement. The City has a conservation
education campaign. What is the next step? When will it be politically
feasible to take it?