[Vision2020] Other topics-- was: Water. Where do you stand on theissue?

Tom Ivie the_ivies3 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 25 12:11:07 PDT 2006

Thanks Chris.  I will try the zeolite.  I let me grass completely go dormant a couple of years ago and it caused some problems.  I am going to try leaving it a bit taller, I definitely have had to seed due to my not watering a couple of yrs ago and it really thinned out, and the zeolite.

Chris Storhok <cstorhok at co.fairbanks.ak.us> wrote:        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Tom,
  Assuming you have a yard the cheapest and easiest way to cut back water usage is to cut way back on watering the grass.  When I lived down there I cut back watering the grass to the point that the grass was barely green and it did not grow fast enough to mow.  If you do it right you will not have the dead brown yard look but you will not have to mow either.  I had found that during the hottest days of summer that really I had to water less than once a week and usually less than ¼ an inch total.  I seeded my yard each fall with various fescues including the Idaho fescue, Festuca idahoensis which is available at the UI (or at least used to be).  My seeding technique was simple, I just threw seed into my yard (or let the kids do) in early fall and left it alone.   My yard plan was based on my simple principles of:  I hate watering, I hate mowing, but I also hate dead yards (the kids really complained and besides a dry dead yard is one heck of a fire hazard).  The other yard t!
 rick I
 used was to broadcast zeolites around the yard.  You can obtain zeolite for around $20 for a 50 pound bag at most landscape businesses.   Zeolite helps your yard through absorbing water and ammonium into the mineral, grass will grow a fine root around the mineral and slowly draw out what it needs.  I am trying these same techniques up here in North Pole and will know later this year if my cheap attempts at saving water work.
  Hope all is well,
Chris Storhok