[Vision2020] Saving water

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Tue Apr 25 11:23:37 PDT 2006

Installing a low-flush toilet will no doubt help save water but water
is wasted in other ways.

Bathtubs waste a lot of water, showers can use less. The Good
Samaritan is taking out the tubs and replacing them with showers
instead. Tubs are also very awkward to get in and out of, as well as
being positively dangerous to slip and fall in. Many people have
broken limbs in slippery tubs. Some have died as a result.

Showers, unfortunately, do not always save as much water as they
should. In practically all of Europe and much of Canada they have
hand-held shower heads on a flexible cable, so you can use less water
and direct it to all parts of your body. You can also control the
volume of the shower. You can even wash just your feet without taking
your clothes off. (I have one in my house.)

Another water-waster in this country are showers where you can't
control the volume of water. In the Hilton Garden Hotel in Airway
Heights, Spokane, where I have stayed several times, they have a huge
investment in expensive Toto brand toilets, which use very little
water and are very quiet. (They come from Japan, not Kansas.) But
this saving is offset by the showers, which can run full-blast only,
thus wasting not only precious Rathdrum aquifer water but also the
electricity or gas to heat it.

Ralph Nielsen