[Vision2020] Crazy Train

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Sun Apr 23 14:12:48 PDT 2006

> Ed Writes:
>

> >> My example (in
>  gestalt form) was specifically meant to illustrate that when we began
>
> >> to accept homosexual marriage and relationships as normal, we
> morphed
>
> >> from the idea of being a Christian or Judeo-Christian society based
>
> >> on biblical morality. And, of course, this is historically when
>
> >> societies get into trouble--the beginning of the end so to speak. My

> >> homosexual activity..... So, some say that there are so few, embrace
>
> >> them. The issue is not how any individual poses a threat to anyone,
>
> >> but how the normalization of homosexuality endangers the entire
>
> >> society.

And Michael replies:

> I think we have too easily dismissed this argument.  The problem is
> not the inference; the problem is making the premises probably true.
> Ed now has to tell us a short world history, focused on the causal
> relations between acceptance of homosexuality and the general moral
> break up of society, and the typical cultural result in the West when
> the classical and/or Judeo-Christian framework is rejected. There is
> still the possible problem of confusing appropriate law with
> appropriate morality, but I think we could table that in order to hear
> Ed out.  So, Ed, are you going to start in the ancient East or the
> ancient West? If you can historically verify these claims I think you
> would have one interesting argument.

Historically, marriage was until very recently an economic exchange of
goods, and that exchange was made between men.  Women were chattel,
property, and those worth exchanging brought with them real goods --
gold, land, a herd of goats.  What we have gradually come to accept in
more modern times is that marriage is now a relationship between two
people, not two fathers, or a father and a prospective bridegroom, but
the two people who are actually to be married.  What those two people
bring to the marriage contract (ideally) is a mutual regard or
affection for one another and the exchange not of goods but of binding
declarations of legal, ethical, and social responsibility for one
another.  Why should same-sex couples not enter into that legal
bargain?  Why should marriage be available to Anna Nicole Smith and  J.
Howard Marshall but not to my partner and me?  And don't tell me that
this is a religious issue; Melynda and I have had a religious ceremony.
  We were married by the Rev. Dr. Kristine Zakarison at the Community
Congregational United Church of Christ in Pullman.  Whether Ed likes it
or not, a licensed minister and, more importantly, Melynda and I
believe ourselves to be married in the eyes of God.  What we'd like now
is the secular civil license and the legal obligations, thanks.

When we talk about the Judeo-Christian foundations of marriage,
particularly in the fashion that Ed has chosen, we are essentially
talking through our hats.  It is Ed, not my partner or me, who would
open the door to polygamy.  Having multiple wives was perfectly
acceptable to the Biblical patriarchs.  Hell, it was desirable.  The
more wives a man could acquire, the better.  How far back is Ed willing
to go in his quest for the ultimate God-sanctioned marriage?  Abraham?
Moses?  David?  Solomon?  Or is that Judeo in there, as I suspect, just
for effect?  Just, as Warren Hayman has suggested, to appear inclusive
while tossing out the third leg of the Abrahamic religions, Islam?

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com