[Vision2020] Harassment Intimidation Threats and Libel

Jennifer McFarland jmcfarland at latah.id.us
Fri Apr 21 08:46:30 PDT 2006

All:

I don't generally like getting involved in debates about things like this
because I don't want to be in the position of policing this forum, which (by
definition, I believe) is supposed to be a generally unrefereed discussion
of relatively hot topics within the community.  However, I do want to point
out a few things, since they seem timely.  Among the people who read, lurk,
and/or contribute to this forum are law enforcement officers and several
very fine defense attorneys (Sunil and Chuck can mug it out to figure out if
I'm talking about them or not).  As such, it would seem to me that if anyone
was flagrantly breaking the law by writing specific things in their posts
that could be construed as harassment, intimidation, threats, or libel, one
of us would likely take some sort of action.  Law enforcement officers in
Idaho are required to report and investigate crimes committed in their
presence.  Most of what is said or written here is more akin to bantering
than real harassment, intimidation, threats, or libel.  This is mainly
evidenced by the continued willingness of both (all) involved parties to
engage in the conversations.  Although technically it could be considered
libel to write, "Jennifer McFarland is an idiot," since I'm reasonably sure
I am not (just scattered sometimes), these are the sorts of statements that
although they might be hurtful, are not really prosecutable.  Part of the
reason I think this particular discussion seems silly is that most of the
people who are accusing each other of these "crimes" do not think the other
has any personal integrity anyway.  In other words, it would be one thing if
the Sheriff were posting, "Jennifer McFarland is an idiot" and quite another
if it were my little brother (who has a great deal of integrity but also a
history of bickering with me and throwing GI Joes at me) or one of the
people I've arrested (who I generally don't regard as being people of great
integrity, at all--consider that in my last years in investigations I mainly
investigated child abuse/sex abuse cases).  I guess my main point is this:
If you think a criminal act has taken place and that you are the affected
party (the victim), you need to report the crime to the appropriate law
enforcement agency having jurisdiction (by going into the station and making
a formal report or by calling the agency and asking them to take your report
at your home/office or via telephone).  Simply accusing each other of
breaking laws does little to stop what you see is a problem and actually
probably aggravates the issue.

--Jennifer

PIO Jennifer L. McFarland
Latah County Sheriff's Office
Public Information Officer
PO Box 8068
Moscow, Idaho 83843
(208) 882-2216
Fax (208) 883-2281

Truth is the summit of being; justice is the application of it to affairs.
***Ralph Waldo Emerson