[Vision2020] Theodore and immigration

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 20 13:05:34 PDT 2006

Roger,

  Theodore Roosevelt, although a great president and speaker for his  time, was also a man of his time. Roosevelt did not like immigration  from Asian countries to the west coast of the United States. Rather  than preventing Asians from entering the US through US immigration  laws, Roosevelt struck a deal with Asian governments, particularly  Japan and China, to forbid their own people from coming here. That is  why the west coast has so few Asians now as compared to the late 1800's  as they build our roads, railways, tunnels, and accomplished other  major feats. If you look at US immigration numbers from China and Japan  after 1901 you will see the drop in immigrants from Asia as a  percentage of all immigrants.

  _DJA

lfalen <lfalen at turbonet.com> wrote:

Theodore  Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

  "In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes  here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us,  he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is  an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or  birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's  becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an  American...there can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he  is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We  have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but  one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room  for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

          @page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; }  P.MsoNormal {   FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"  }  LI.MsoNormal {   FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"  }  DIV.MsoNormal {   FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"  }  A:link {   COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline  }  SPAN.MsoHyperlink {   COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline  }  A:visited {   COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline  }  SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {   COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline  }  SPAN.EmailStyle17 {   COLOR: windowtext; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-style-type: personal  }  SPAN.EmailStyle18 {   COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-style-type: personal-reply  }  DIV.Section1 {   page: Section1  }

[...]

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com