[Vision2020] Complaints Filed Against Boarding Houses

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Thu Apr 13 13:06:03 PDT 2006

On Apr 13, 2006, at 9:59 AM, kerry becker wrote:

> "What other group is doing it??"
>
>  Why don't you take your camera and find out?  If you are not biased,
> then I would hope you would extend your research for all Moscow
> residents.

Here's a question for you, Kerry Becker: why should she?  Why should
anyone?  Why should ordinary citizens be placed in the awkward position
of compelling the City of Moscow to enforce its own zoning laws?  We
have city administrators who are paid hefty salaries to ensure that the
law, as written, is enforced without prejudice.  At present, the law is
not enforced against members of the Wilson Church.  It is enforced
against others.  Why is this?  Is it because the city staff fear the
empty cries of religious persecution?  Or is it because they're tapped
out in the brains department?  No one can or should care what god you
worship or what church you attend when you break the law, but in the
City of Moscow, we do care.  New St. Andrews is a serial zoning
violator.  Why is it located in the Central Business District, contrary
to zoning ordinance and contrary to the Comprehensive Plan, without
penalty?  The law has been changed by the Moscow City Council so that
Doug's school can stay in its present location.  How, exactly, is that
persecution?  It looks to me like a hell of a big favor.

The Unitarian Universalist Church has been advised by the city that
they cannot expand at their present location.  I would suggest that
they go ahead and expand anyway.  They should thumb their collective
noses at the city and begin building.  Once they're done, they can say,
echoing Doug Wilson's logic, "We're here.  We've spent a lot of money.
We're great neighbors.  Why are you persecuting us?  It's because we're
liberal, isn't it?  It's because you hate our open theology."  Tell me:
do you think that would work?  No, me neither.  The UUs are law
abiding.  They actually care about secular government.

Finally, why should anyone feel obliged to demonstrate to you or Robert
Sentz or Doug Wilson that they are "without bias" before taking action
against yet another flagrant violation of the law?  You ask "what other
group is doing it?"  I'll toss this question right back at you.  What
other group has persistently, repeatedly, and openly flouted the law in
the way that Christ Church has done?  Have the Catholics or the Mormons
or the Presbyterians established an educational institution in the
Central Business District?  Have the Lutherans claimed tax exemptions
to which they were not legally entitled?  Have the Baptists (Southern,
Free Will, or American) organized multi-student boarding houses in R-1
residential zones AFTER having been told by the city more than 6 years
ago that said boarding houses are not allowed and are not legal?  The
answer is no; none of these other religious groups have done this, and
I have to say that the Jews and the Muslims, the Methodists and the
Wiccans, all seem to have been behaving themselves as well.

I don't know Diane Baumgart, the woman who filed the petition against
these boarding houses, gathering more than forty non-Huskey signatures
in the process.  I admire her courage and her fortitude, though,
because she's about to be hit with the water cannon of Doug Wilson's
ready lachrymosa.  It'll be boo-hoo, poor us, while the serrated edges
fly and the snotty, offensive  "good soldier" cracks flare.  Lost in it
all will be the fact that no one should pay good money for a
single-family house in an R-1 zone only to find that an illegal student
flop house has sprung up next door.  No one should have to put up with
her quiet, peaceful street being turned into the site of a borstal:
cars everywhere, no ready parking, students driving up over one's lawn,
tossing trash onto the grass, coming and going at all hours, and making
the sort of racket that only a group of 18-21 year olds can make.

(And, please, don't give me a load of old rubbish about how we're not
talking about ordinary students here but good Christian kids with nice
haircuts and Wally Cleaver sweater vests.  If you do, I'll be obliged
to publish an annotated list of all the lovely preachers' daughters I
dated back in the day.  Those Southern girls can sure put away the
bourbon.)

Here is the world according to Doug Wilson and NDW, the hot air
apparent:

1. Christ Church does not respect secular law.
2. Christ Church breaks secular law all the time.
3. Christ Church is a law unto itself.
3. If we "infidels" insist on the enforcement of secular law, this will
be treated as a form of religious persecution.  Unless, of course, we
can find a Zoroastrian or a Hindu or a Buddhist to punish for doing
exactly same thing as the Christ Church culprit.

Imagine if law enforcement had to follow the Wilson model in all its
actions.  We couldn't prosecute a Baptist DUI until we could pair the
culprit with a drunk-driving Methodist.  Speaking of which, do you know
the difference between a Baptist and a Methodist?  A Methodist will say
hi when he meets you in the liquor store.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com