[Vision2020] sense of place

Debbie Gray dgray at uidaho.edu
Thu Apr 13 11:14:30 PDT 2006

For a change of pace, I'd like to recommend a book I just
finished called 'Outside lies magic : regaining history and
awareness in everyday places /by John R. Stilgoe'
(isbn:0802775632 pbk)

I really enjoyed this book and it is a great reminder to explore
our own built and natural environment and see what patterns we
can observe and what stories they might tell. From gated
communities to railroad patterns and how fences
define/protect/isolate us, it's really a fascinating
exploration...

debbie

Here's the amazon.com review if you are interested...
------------
Amazon.com
What lies along the highway, just out of sight? How about behind
that building? Or under the street? Most of us muse idly about
such things as we take our walks or drive our cars, but only a
few go further and explore the secret histories of the places
where we live. Landscape historian John R. Stilgoe is one of
these intrepid explorers; for years he has taught Harvard
students to open their senses to the created environment we
share, to gently dissect our neighborhoods and public spaces for
the knowledge hidden in plain sight. In Outside Lies Magic, he
lets us all in on these wonderful secrets.

Guiding us on tracks laid by utility and railroad companies,
showing us the hidden territory of postal systems, Stilgoe
reminds us that important frontiers lie invisible in our
backyards and side streets, waiting for our attention. Though
more interested in showing us how to see than telling us what
there is to see, his descriptions of power-line right-of-ways,
alley-side entrances, and hobo jungles provide compelling
incentive for the reader to take his advice to heart and start
looking around and asking questions of the community. If you
think it's important to "think locally," Outside Lies Magic is
an outstanding training manual. --Rob Lightner