[Vision2020] immigration: activists

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Wed Apr 12 21:11:49 PDT 2006

No, Matt, I don't think you're a racist because you want them "kept out,"
but I say that with the assumption that if these were English-speaking white
folks immigrating to the U.S. from, say, the mythical country of
Anglolandia, you'd be equally opposed to their undocumented arrival.  And if
I read anything from you decrying "their" culture, skin color, habits,
families, etc., I'd have to conclude that you're a racist.  I have not read
those things.

The irony here is that while most on the list think I'm terribly liberal on
this issue, whether that's a good thing or not, my mother thinks I'm a
conservative bigot for questioning her involvement in Humane Borders, a
group that fills desert water towers and packs backpacks with supplies for
border crossers.  I don't happen to think it's wise to give people a sense
that there's water in the desert because it tends to result in their
minimizing the dangers of crossing -- but she wants to save lives and so do
I; we just have different approaches.  I don't think she's nuts, and I don't
think anybody could reasonably conclude that I've gone all Dittohead on this
one.

But, as we say in my circle of friends, "asi es la vida" -- that's life!

keely