[Vision2020] Complaints Filed Against Boarding Houses

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Wed Apr 12 18:31:25 PDT 2006

On Apr 12, 2006, at 4:10 PM, Gabriel Rench wrote:

> Again: What about U of I students who board with families, foreign
> exchange students, Mormons who come up here for their mission and
> according to you Moscow is the only city in the whole united states
> that would not allow boarding?  Moscow is elite.  Also as my friend
> Deacon put it:
> “·  Why is a group of three or four roommates, one of whom owns the
> house, a violation?
> ·  Why are people in Potlatch or on the Troy highway in violation of
> Moscow city code?
> ·  Why are people who rent a separate apartment in a house that is
> zoned for such a purpose considered boarders?”
>
> I understand that following an argument has never been you or Wayne
> Art Deco Fox’s strong suite, but we have been prejudicially targeted
> for this… and this is why you blend weed and zoning all into one
> basket.  Cheers!
> Gabriel Rench

First, where did I claim that Moscow is "the only city in the whole
united states [sic] that would not allow boarding?"  What I said was
that the only zoning laws relevant to Moscow are the zoning laws of
Moscow.  Do you follow this?  (I'm typing slowly as I know you don't
read fast.)  In answer to your friend Deacon's questions, the people of
Potlatch are not the people of Moscow.  Moscow and Potlatch are
different towns.  There are also different zoning rules for those who
live outside the Moscow city limits.  The county is not the same as the
city.  Is this really so hard to grasp?

Also, apartments are apartments; renting multiple rooms within a
single-family dwelling is a boarding house.  Look up the word
"borstal."  That might help you out.  Similarly, if you have an
apartment in your house, and you rent that apartment, then you'd better
make certain that you are in compliance with city ordinance.  If you
own a house, and you rent space to three or four roommates, you'd also
better make certain that you are in compliance.  I've known many people
with fully fitted apartments in their basements or up in their attics,
and they have checked into the zoning ordinances, brought their
apartments into compliance, or have ceased to rent those apartments.
Why?  Because they give a rip about the law.  They want to be in
compliance.  Fancy that!

While you've been chewing the fat with Deacon James, I've been
corresponding with a friend who knows Moscow zoning ordinance inside
out.  This is what she has to say:

"Personally, I think Wilson's boarding houses really fall under the
heading of 'Fraternity, Sorority Or Student Cooperative,' i.e., a
building occupied by and maintained exclusively for students affiliated
with an academic or professional college or university, or other
recognized institution of higher learning and regulated by such
institution.  Those are only allowed in R-4, and they are only allowed
with a conditional use permit."

Ponder that.  As for the ability to follow an argument not being my or
Wayne's strong "suite," I would agree.  I don't have suite; I just have
a bedroom.  If you meant to say that it's not my strong sweet, I would
agree with that, too.  I prefer savories.  Following a well-reasoned,
rational, clear argument is, however, one of my strong suits.  That
said, following your arguments, Gabe, is a bit tricky.  Your claims are
inconsistent and/or irrelevant, and you evince no apparent logical
trajectory.  Do they not teach rhetoric at New St. Andrews?  Or was
NSA's rhetorician hired on the strength of his DNA rather than the
quality of his MA?

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com

PS: If Toe-Knee thinks this is patronizing and condescending, he ain't
seen nothing yet.  I love a good argument, and thus I hate sloppy
thinking.  I'll echo what Nick Gier said earlier: I really miss my
friend Phil Nisbet.  He might have made a cogent argument on behalf of
NSA boarding houses.  Then again, he might have slammed you, too.  That
was a great thing about Phil -- you never knew where he might fall in
an argument, but you always knew he'd give it a genuine college try.