"Terrorism" Defined? Re: [Vision2020] {Longish] letter with facts of interest

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 13:09:52 PDT 2006

All-

While many of the facts presented in this letter appear true, there is one
statement that suggests the bias of the writer was influencing their logic:

"To date, not a single terrorist has gotten to the US through Mexico..."

We cannot verify this is true, nor can the writer.  Perhaps he meant not a
single terrorist who it has been verified carried out terrorist attacks has
gotten into the US through Mexico.  There could be numerous "terrorists" who
crossed illegally into the US from Mexico who have not yet carried out the
attacks they intend.

Also, how do we define "terrorist?"

It seems this word has taken on a definition suiting the propaganda needs of
some in power.  While the US kills tens of thousands of "innocents"
in Afghanistan and Iraq, they are merely "collateral damage," ignoring the
fact that in military conflict impacting "innocents" is a powerful strategy
to weaken the enemy.  In Iraq, the US has deliberately targeted innocent
family members with imprisonment and violence to attempt to force their
relatives, who it is believed are members of the insurgency, to come to
ground.  Is this not terrorizing innocents for, at least in part, political
purposes, given that the US goals in Iraq are not purely military, but the
establishment of a new political/ideological system in Iraq?

Is someone crossing the Mexican/US border a "terrorist" if they smuggle
large quantities of illegal drugs and kill their competitors and some of
their "innocent" family members in the USA in gang warfare?  If so,
"terrorists" have crossed the Mexican/US border and carried out attacks.  I
suppose terrorists must deliberately kill "innocents" for political
purposes, which seems part of the current definition of "terrorist," so
perhaps gang war "hits" are not aimed at killing innocents for strictly
political purposes, but merely economic power purposes.  Nonetheless,
Mexican/US border violence does inspire "terror" in many people.  And could
not the World Trade Center attacks be reduced in theory to a kind of
international gang warfare "hit" against the economic power of the US,
as the US competes with other ideologies who perceive the US, with
its global economic hegemony, as undermining their power in the world?

When "terrorism" is understood from this perspective, the line between a
gang war "hit," and a terrorist coming into the US to kill to undermine the
economic power of the US, is perhaps not as precise as thought.  Some who
study Bin Laden's approach think (the CIA author who wrote the book
"Imperial Hubris" described the invasion of Iraq a "Christmas gift to Bin
Laden") that in fact his goal in the 9/11 attacks was to force the US to
overextend itself and deplete its economic and military power by invading
Islamic nation(s), bogging the US down in endless occupation and conflict,
and swelling the ranks of recruits for Bin Laden's "war," recruits who
witness the US invading Islamic nations in what could be viewed as a "war"
against Islam, exactly as Bin Laden warned.   This approach, if indeed it
was Bin Laden's intent, seems to be working to some extent...and it suggests
his goals in killing US innocents were more militarily oriented that just
political.

Consider that at one time President Reagan celebrated the Taliban as
"freedom fighters" in their war against the Soviet occupation of
Afghanistan.  Later the Taliban were all lumped together as "terrorists,"
though most of them certainly had nothing to do with any attack against the
US.  It is interesting that 15 of the 19 9/11 hijackers were Saudi
nationals, with significant funding for their operations coming from within
Saudi Arabia, with the Saudi human rights violating dictatorship blocking US
investigations into all the connections of these 15 terrorists inside Saudi
Arabia, while Afghanistan and Bin Laden took most of the blame for 9/11.
How often have we heard that Saudi's are "terrorists?"  As long as the US
has a stable cozy relationship with the Saudi Royal family maintaining the
flow of fossil fuels, we won't be hearing that the Saudi Royal family has
"terrorists" in their midst from President Bush, despite the fact they had
more connections to 9/11 than Saddam Hussein.

I now return you to your regular programming...

Ted Moffett