[Vision2020] Argonaut Column by Christian Gay

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Wed Apr 12 09:56:09 PDT 2006

Greetings:

I'm not sure if I saw it posted here, but Josh Studor recently did a guest column for the Argonaut about being gay and Christian.

I wanted to remind Visionaries of my column "The Real Meaning of Sodomy," which appeared in the Daily News about 2 years ago.  The full essay can be found at http://users.adelphia.net/~nickgier/sodomy.htm.

Josh refers to one example that is not an example of gay sexuality; rather, it is the vicious example of "power rape" in Judges 19.  (It is also an outrageous example of sexual abuse and the snuffing out of an innocent female.)  It is not love that drives heterosexual males to gang rape other males, something that happens all too frequently in our prisons.  In the ancient world many "top" males exercized their right to penetrate any being below them--women, slaves, and other inferior males.  Society and the courts usually looked the other way.  Many jurists supported this fundamental right of patriarchy.

Read my essay to discover that the Bible defined sodomy as brutal inhospitality, neglect of the poor, and stigmatizing the Other.  That makes today's homophobes the real Sodomites.

Nick Gier