[Vision2020] 9/11 Tapes Watched

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 6 17:49:54 PDT 2006

Sept. 11 Kin watch Moussaoui, 9/11 tape  Stars and Stripes

By PAT MILTON  Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- Family members of victims of the 2001 terrorist attacks
fought back tears after watching heart-rending videotape Thursday from the
soon-to-collapse World Trade Center during the death penalty trial of
Zacarias Moussaoui.

"I had to close my eyes when they showed the people jumping," Patricia
Foley, of Nyack, said as she joined other Sept. 11 family members at the
federal courthouse in Manhattan, where the trial was shown on closed-circuit
television. "I was reliving the whole day."

Foley lost her firefighter son, Thomas Foley, in the attacks.

Mary Novotny's eyes filled with tears. "I wished they didn't show so many
people jumping," said Novotny, a New York City resident who lost her son,
Brian, an investment banker at Cantor Fitzgerald.

The two mothers and four members of other families have become friends,
sharing the hour-long drive each weekday from their Rockland County homes to
the courthouse to view the Virginia trial of the only person charged in this
country in the Sept. 11 attacks.

Along with the stark video, Thursday's proceedings included testimony by
Rudolph Giuliani. The former mayor's voice broke as he talked about the now
3-year-old daughter of one of his closest aides, Beth Petrone Hatton.

Hatton's firefighter husband died without ever knowing his wife was
pregnant.

John Woods, of Pearl River, said he thought Giuliani's painful testimony and
the videotape of people falling to their deaths was "the hardest part of the
trial."

Woods lost his son, James Woods, a trader's assistant at Cantor Fitzgerald.

Diane DeCarlo, of New City, whose brother, Michael Dowd, also worked at
Cantor Fitzgerald, said she opposes the death penalty but would not be sad
if Moussaoui were sentenced to die.

"If they kill him, he will be a martyr," she said, "and that's what he
wants."

Maureen Bosco, of Suffern, expressed similar emotions.

"I don't want him inducted into the martyrdom hall of fame," said Bosco,
whose son, Richard Bosco, a bank employee, was on a sales visit at Cantor
Fitzgerald when he was killed.

Dan D'Allara said he could feel his dead twin brother, John, a New York
policeman, sitting on his shoulder during the trial.

"We all have a hole in our hearts," said D'Allara, "much bigger than the
hole in the skyline of Manhattan."

J  :]