[Vision2020] The Nicene Creed (was Atwood letter rewritten)

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Tue Apr 4 23:55:22 PDT 2006

Chas and Tony,

Because of the recent criticism against these kinds of prayers at CC, Wilson
attempted a brief defense in the sermon this last Sunday.  He focused on how
it is important that the heart be right when praying destruction on the
enemy.  There is of course not much difference between squashing us like
bugs and bathing in our blood, although the former is more acoustical
whereas the latter is more sensuous.

Michael Metzler

On 4/4/06, ToeKneeTime at aol.com <ToeKneeTime at aol.com> wrote:

> Imprecatory prayer?  Not familiar with it.  Would appreciate an

> explanation, preferably from BOTH sides.  Would also like to see

> verbatim, dated examples of such practice calling for the death of

> others as Joan alleges.  Thanks you.

An imprecatory prayer is simply a prayer asking God for the destruction of
enemies.

"Break the teeth in their mouths, O God; tear out, O Lord, the fangs of the
lions! Let them vanish like water that flows away; when they draw the bow,
let their arrows be blunted. Like a slug melting away as it moves along,
like a still born child, may they not see the sun The righteous will be glad
when they bathe their feet in the blood of the wicked." Psalm 58.6-10.

Many of the psalms are imprecatory prayers.  When Joan speaks of imprecatory
prayer, she probably means it in a figurative sense, but I don't know.