[Vision2020] tax legislation

Shirley Ringo ringoshirl at moscow.com
Tue Apr 4 16:49:25 PDT 2006

Visionaries:

April 4, 2006

The Revenue and Taxation Committee just voted to combine some of the property tax relief into one bill - transfer the .3% property tax for schools to 1.25% sales tax increase; $75,000 homeowners' exemption keyed for growth to the Idaho Housing Index.

This is to be voted upon tomorrow.  I am very disappointed to be robbed of the opportunity to vote on the merits of these individually.  The bill, HB 876, is very complex.  You can be sure that many legislators will vote for it without understanding the details.  Although I haven't seen an analysis at this time (and legislators should insist on seeing one), I believe that middle class and lower income folks will not benefit from this change.

Shirley