[Vision2020] immigration

James Reynolds chapandmaize at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 3 10:48:43 PDT 2006

All:

To my memory and understanding the current “immigration” problem has been in
motion for a long while and this is the way it has played out over the last
40 years up to the current time.

For decades now the federal Government, through consecutive Farm Bills, has
been subsidizing WTO corporations toward a takeover of the family farm. By
artificially depressing the price of raw farm products through subsidization
of the growing operations, the small operator (family farm) was squeezed out
of business. The deliberate attempts at controlling the market had the
predicted inevitable result of increasing the supply artificially far above
the level that demand for the products would have set had the market been
left to work. The higher than demanded supply resulted in depressing the
price. When 400 acres of wheat, corn & soybeans would no longer support a
family at anything but a subsistence level of existence, there was no more
convincing the children to stay on the farm. No longer could the family farm
operators afford to build their sons and daughters home on the farm with the
expectations that their future generations would be taking over the
business. The alternatives for the farmers were to sell out or to grow by
purchasing more and incorporating to increase the amount of subsidy the
operation could collect. The small farm with the built in family supplied
labor pool was made obsolete by this very process. Now, the transformation
is nearly complete. Mega-sized corporate farms are the norm and the family
living on the land is practically non existent.

Now that our WTO corporate sponsored government has run the labor off of the
ground by running their livings into the dirt, the WTO’s claim is that
Americans will not do such farm labor so they need a little help importing
American labor from foreign countries. In the span of one generation
corporate WTO has transformed the most independent minded self-sustained
industry into one that demands cheap foreign labor be delivered them through
a government sponsored guest worker program. We Americans, most of which can
trace our roots back to the very farms that were swindled out of our hands,
are now told we are too lazy to work the ground any more!

The real numbers don’t support corporate America’s allegations. In reality
only 1 of 4 (75% are American) agriculture laborers are currently illegal
immigrants and only 1 of 7 construction workers is an illegal immigrant. The
claim that America has a low unemployment percentage is also manipulated by
this corporate sponsored government. If the unemployment rate was calculated
the same today as it was prior to 1970 instead of a 4.8% unemployment rate
we would be looking at greater than a 12% unemployment rate. If we
calculated it as we did in the 1980’s it would be greater than an 8%
unemployment rate.

The other side of this injustice done to us Americans by the WTO corporate
greed machine is the depression of farm laborers wages. Farm labor accounts
for only 6% of the shelf cost of food products yet the corporate greed
machine wants to squeeze that out of us also and are using the enslavement
of illegal immigrants to do so. As late as the early 1980’s, I knew a
flotilla of young (and some older folk also) people who travel the migrant
farm labor routes with pride and joy. The price paid will no longer support
the life style. The reason the price paid will not support the life style is
because of the enslavement of the illegal immigrants.

Listen to the Democrats and the Republicans with both ears. Like has been
said before, there’s not a nickel worth of difference between them. Neither
party is working for America any more. There interests have been bought and
paid for by the WTO corporations. We have to find a way to get our country
back.

James Reynolds