[Vision2020] Republicans to Idaho's Poor: Leave or Drop Dead

g. crabtree jampot at adelphia.net
Sat Apr 1 11:04:47 PST 2006

Hansen opines,

> > What Idaho needs are jobs that pay a living wage, jobs that offer
> > careers,
> and wages that put food on dinner tables, not sub-minimum wages that only
> serve to fatten the corporate bottom line.

So just exactly what kind of jobs might you be referring to? The poor folks
discussed in Tom Henderson's article will not be working at the tech park
any time soon. By what mechanism do you create jobs where a person with no
marketable skill jumps in and makes skilled worker wages?

Mr. Henderson states that Idaho Republicans give these people only two
options, move or die. In reality there is a third option, become adequate.
Take the best job you can find, do it as well as you can, pay attention,
work your way up. This model has worked for many poor Americans for quite a
while now. If your work ethic/skill set is so limited that you will forever
sit at the lowest rung of the employment ladder, chances are you wont be
working long anyway. Raising the minimum will not lift you out of poverty.
(Unless you would like to see it raised to $22.50)

If I am wrong in this I hope that someone (Hansen?) will provide a list of
all the high pay/no skill jobs they have in mind. Better yet, get out and
create them. And in the mean time quit standing in the way of
entry/intermediate level jobs that do at least provide a firm starting point
(better than min. wages & some bennies) simply to protect your nebulous
"quality of life" or while waiting for the "magic jobs" to miraculously
arrive.