[Vision2020] New Rules from "Real Time with Bill Maher (September 16, 2005)

Tom Hansen idahotom at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 30 19:54:12 PDT 2005

Greetings Visionaires -

Sorry about the tardiness in posting these New Rules, but I have been gone
for a while and I have lots of catching up to do.

So, without further ado (and a thanks for the reminder to Mr. Nisbet) . . .

It's time for this week's New Rules.

New Rule: Michael Brown must un-resign so he can be publicly fired. We are
not letting you off that easy, Brownie. You can't just slink off midway
through your service. This is FEMA, not the Texas Air National Guard.

New Rule: The fortunes in fortune cookies have to be fortunes. "You surround
yourself with good friends" is not a prediction. It's a compliment. Quit
kissing my ass, cookie! If I'm going to sit through a plate of MSG-laden,
twice-cooked kitty-cat, I want a real fortune like, "That meal you just ate
is going to give you cancer."

New Rule: A terrorist threat should not end with the words, "Seriously,
dude." A terrorist video has surfaced wherein an Al Qaeda operative from
Orange County--threatened the U.S. Hey, face it, man, you're not a jihadist.
You're Napoleon Dynamite with this mother's dishtowel on his head. Turn off
the camcorder, go back to your parents' basement and download porn, you
loser.

New Rule: Stop telling me celebrities are too thin, when really the rest of
America is too fat. I think I know where Nicole Richie's boobs went. [photo
of obese man in swimsuit] This guy's got 'em.

And finally, New Rule: For Christ's sake, no more devil movies. "The
Exorcism of Emily Rose" opened huge last week, and it surprised a lot of
people, mostly because Owen Wilson wasn't in it. But exorcism, or as the
Catholics call it, "elective surgery," is a popular theme nowadays because
it reinforces the comforting notion that evil resides outside of us.

Well, I'm sorry, but it doesn't. And whenever I hear someone blame a bombing
in Baghdad or a levee breaking in New Orleans on the forces of evil, it
makes me so mad I just want to grab my pitchfork and stick it right through
my cloven hoof!

Now, Americans have always loved devil movies: "The Exorcist," "The Omen,"
"Rosemary's Baby," "The Devil's Advocate." The list goes on forever because
Americans love the devil. Why? Because he's simple and he provides a simple
answer. He did it.

But evil is not a demon with a tail and horns. That's a Jew. And evil - evil
isn't some spectral goblin with red eyes and the voice of Anthony Hopkins.
That's Anthony Hopkins.

Is George Bush purely evil? Of course not. And that's what's so evil about
him. He doesn't twirl a mustache and smirk and cackle. Well, he doesn't
twirl a mustache. He's like the Peanuts character Pigpen. Wherever he goes,
he stirs up such a humongous mess it can only be cleaned up by Halliburton.
But he is not pure evil.

Because evil is a chain. Did any one person doom New Orleans? No, it's a
chain. People vote for a corrupt leader; a corrupt leader puts unqualified
cronies in high places, and when those cronies fuck up, evil gets done. The
devil didn't fly up from hell and knock a hole in that levee. The levee just
didn't get built because the money for it went to rich people's tax cuts and
pork projects and corporate welfare.

Evil isn't "Salem's Lot." It's Trent Lott. This week, an ailing American
bald eagle was found to be dying from mercury poisoning. Republicans
immediately tried to blame it on the eagle's lifestyle choices. But it's
worth noting that also this week, the White House threatened to veto limits
on mercury pollution. Now, pure evil would be if George Bush sat around the
White House saying, "Let's poison eagles!" And even I don't believe George
Bush would do that.

Cheney would do that. And even he is not pure evil. Dick Cheney doesn't hate
poor children and caribou. They're just in the way.

Bottom line: some people think Satan is real and some people think global
warming is real. If you think stopping gays from doing it is more important
than the ice caps melting, the boogeyman is you...

Take care, Moscow.