[Vision2020] Latah County Library District and First Step Internet Light Up the Branch Libraries

Mike Hall mikech at fsr.com
Fri Sep 23 11:21:05 PDT 2005

For Immediate Release

Latah County Library District and First Step Internet Light Up the Branch
Libraries

September 22, 2005

The Latah County Library District and First Step Internet have teamed up to
bring free wireless hotspots to every corner of Latah County.  The Moscow
Main branch has had wireless service for a year and a half.  Now every
branch including Troy, Potlatch, Deary, Genesee, Bovill and Juliaetta is
wireless.

District library director Janice McPherson says, "The Library District has
invested in the branch communities by offering wireless services usually
found only in the bigger cities.  Wireless provides another level of
convenience for our patrons.  This is yet one more way to facilitate access
to the wide world of information."

WiFi service enables someone with a WiFi adapter in their computer to get
access to the Internet.  The typical range of local WiFi is about 300 feet.
The WiFi system at each branch of the library will enable access throughout
each facility.  WiFi has become increasingly popular throughout the US and
the world.  Some well-known hotspots include Starbucks, Kinkos and thousands
of airports and hotels across the country.  First Step internet maintains 36
free hotspots throughout the region, which include airports, hotels, coffee
shops and other venues.  For a complete listing, see
http://www.firststepwireless.com/.

The addition of the WiFi service was fairly straightforward and painless
according to Mike Hall, Area Sales Manager for First Step Internet.

"The Latah County Library District has been forward-looking in their
technology plan and therefore had all the other pieces in place already.
Thanks to grants from the Rural Utilities Service and the Gates Foundation,
First Step has been able to add the Potlatch, Deary, Bovill and Juliaetta
branches to our high-speed network.  Troy and Genesee were already
connected.  With state of the art networks in place at each branch, the
addition of WiFi service was just an extension of what they were already
doing.  With Sonicwall firewalls in place, we were able to add this service
on the public side of the network for free access for patrons.  We are
excited to be able to bring these valuable services to the small towns of
Latah County.  This is just another step in our overall plan to bridge the
digital divide throughout the Palouse."

About First Step Internet

First Step Internet began offering dial-up Internet access in 1994 with the
idea of making Internet access available to virtually everyone.  First Step
Internet enabled the communities of the Inland Pacific Northwest to take
advantage of the new opportunities arising in e-commerce. First Step
Internet has matured to being an ISP that services areas in Central
Washington and Idaho. With the rise in broadband, the products of First Step
Internet have grown to include Frame Relay, DSL and Fixed Wireless Internet
service. Through continuous expansion, First Step Internet has grown to be
the region's largest local user based Internet service provider by supplying
the lowest cost and highest quality connectivity available. First Step
Internet has installed wireless and wired networks in over 3,500 apartments.
Their wireless network extends to 18 communities throughout the region.  For
more information please visit www.fsr.com.

Sincerely,

Mike Hall

Area Sales Manager