[Vision2020] Update from Rep. Trail

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 18 16:27:56 PDT 2005

Tom and Janesta,

I think an easier and more lasting goal would be to
get the state legislature to allow local city and
county governments the option of raising their area's
minimum wage.

It seems to futile to come up with a dollar amount for
the state that will satisfy the livable wage in all
areas of the state, which it cannot.

Also the number of hours worked, housing
opportunities, and medical coverage can effect what
wage someone can survive with.

Raising minimum wage in and of itself does not always
help the poor. For example, many people are poor
because of housing costs. If you raise the minimum
wage and cause inflation, poor people just end up
paying more in rent, which in turn hurts those on
Social Security and disability who cannot work enough
to make up for the increases. In addition, inflation
requires banks to raise interest rates and tighten
loan restrictions that prevents poorer families from
getting an affordable loan on a house or car.

I am not saying I oppose raising the minimum wage,
because I do not, it should be raised every other
year. I just think that if the goal is to raise the
standard of living for those living at the bottom of
the economic scale, we need to take a more holistic
approach to the problems, issues, and economic
realities of each community, not just expend all our
capital on a one time raising of the minimum wage in
the state of Idaho.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold