[Vision2020] Douglas Wilson and his latest book,

Edward Sebesta edwardsebesta at comcast.net
Sat Sep 17 09:38:32 PDT 2005

Newly released is "The War Between the States: America's Uncivil War,"
with John J. Dwyer, general editor; George Grant, J. Steven Wilkins,
Douglas Wilson, Tom Spencer, contributing editors, and the art work of
John Paul Stain. It is to be marketed to homeschoolers and Christian
academies.

It is published by Blue Bonnet press. You can read all about it at:

http://www.johnjdwyer.com/

What is most note worthy is the attack on Charles Finney and evangelical
Christianity. The Neo-Confederate Christians are very critical of
Fundamentalism in America also. However, that is not a topic in this
book.

Another section makes apologies for the Ku Klux Klan in Reconstruction.

Of particular interest to Moscow, Idaho is Chapter 7, "Southern Slavery
As It was/I" and Chapter 8, "Southern Slavery As It Was/II."

I would say that this book seems to incorporate every "Lost Cause" and
modern Neo-Confederate idea.

SPECIAL NOTE:

There is a tendency amongst liberals and others to think that people
with views like Wilson are goof balls, or their mental processes
resemble some type of chaotic storm. People with extremists views can be
intelligent, and should be considered skilled adversaries.

>From the observations of what has happened in Moscow, Idaho, I can see
that Douglas Wilson knows very well how to manage the media and all the
frailties and assumptions of liberalism about the radical right.

The primary defense of Wilson, is the tendency of people to think
racists, are people outside ordinary society, and people who wear funny
clothes and don't have good middle class decorum or an education. It is
comforting for liberals and others to think that racists are outside the
society they live in, and can't be their neighbors, relatives,
co-workers, or most importantly themselves. This unfortunately gives
banal white nationalism a free pass.

The opposition to Wilson will have to be a thinking opposition.

I understand that there is an opposition to Wilson, and I don't want
give the impression of being totally critical of the people in Moscow
working against Wilson, but I think that the opposition to Wilson could
have more critical thinking.

Ed Sebesta