[Vision2020] Quality of Life or Why is a 3rd Street arterial abad idea

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Thu Sep 15 09:57:11 PDT 2005

Linda, et al,

I agree with your reasons and opinions in this matter (below).  It should be emphasized that safety problems are egregiously large.  Having a major arterial running along side of a sidewalkless, unfenced park, running by Moscow High School, running within 1/4 block of Lena Whitmore Elementary School, and through a neighborhood where many, many young students walk to several schools and many residents walk to several places strikes me as a very perilous, uncaring way to solve a problem.

I do not live in Moscow so my opinions will have little or no effect on the decision makers, the city council.

However, we shop and do other business in Moscow.  While we have until now tried to spend most of our money locally even though we pay a premium to do this, this matter and other P & Z matters is causing us to re-evaluate our purchasing policies.  Remarks made by various city public officials/public figures forwarded to us indicate these officials/figures believe that those outside of the city should not express their opinions or have them considered, and these same officials/figures feel that many of those inside the city have opinions that are not worth hearing or considering.  It is like the City of Moscow is saying:  "We don't care where you take your business, we are going to do it our way!"

In my professional opinion as a consulting systems engineer of many years training and practice, that the root of the Third Street proposal issue is the lack of intelligent, unfettered by special interests, community based planning.

It has been clear for many years that the city is expanding eastward and northward.  A lot of money was spent on upgrading Mountain View.  A little intelligence would have dictated that it should have be four lane instead of two, that a mile or so of Joseph should be four-lane, that the Troy Highway from east of the cemetery to Washington should be four-lane, that eventually a stoplight needs to be placed at Mountain View and the Troy Highway, that some safe egress/exit on Highway 95 for those living in the expanding north part of the city needs to be provided beside the accident prone intersection at Pintail Lane, and that perhaps North Polk needs to be four-lane and paved to connect to Highway 95 at Foothill Road.

The NSA, alternative high school, etc. zoning fiasco is part of the same problem.  In my opinion the planning/zoning/building function of the City of Moscow has been horrible, if not corrupt, for a long time.  There has been little or no enforcement despite obvious violations.  Developers are given red-carpet service and their violations are either ignored or ways found to circumvent the enforcement of such.  Between seriously inept personnel, rampant 'good old boy/girlism', and gutless elected/appointed officials afraid to rock the boat and/or incur the displeasure of developers, Moscow is now facing several planning and zoning problems for which there is but very difficult, unsatisfactory to most, expensive solutions.

If I were a Moscow resident, I would be seriously lobbying public officials to clean up this mess and quickly; if they were not willing to do so, then I would spend time and energy to find replacements for them.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com