[Vision2020] Foot in mouth disease (was federal response to Katrina, etc.)

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 12 23:07:51 PDT 2005

Pat Kraut writes:

> I too have wondered if any of the squawkers are aware of the massive
> problem. It wasn't perfect but it wasn't as bad as some would like us
> believe. The black leadership is only accusing Bush of racism because
> they
> have failed their people so badly.Why were all those people, of any
> color,
> some of the poorest in the city, living so close to the problem? The
> whole
> area is run by democrats so the black leadership is desperately trying
> blame anyone but them.

Woman, if you keep your foot in your mouth much longer, you're going to
have to have your tongue re-soled.  Why were poor black people living
so close to the problem?  I don't know . . . because they were poor?
Because they were black?  Because they were poor and black?  I
understand that you are from Idaho, one of the whitest states in
America, and, what's more, that you are from rural Northern Idaho.  I
know this, and I make allowances for your lack of first-hand knowledge
about urban demographics, but surely -- surely -- even you must know
that the poor always live on the wrong side of the tracks, or, in this
case, the wrong side of the levees.  The poor never occupy the high
ground ANYWHERE.  And who are the poor?  In New Orleans, as in the rest
of the South, the poor are predominantly black.  Further, New Orleans,
like most Southern cities, is still segregated.  The South is no longer
legally segregated, but it is an unfortunate political and economic
reality that black people and white people do not live in the same
neighborhoods.  There are a few token African-Americans in a few
upscale white neighborhoods, but I can assure you, there's a tipping
point.  When a neighborhood gets "too black," house prices drop and
white flight begins.

It's also the case that rich black people and poor black people don't
live in the same neighborhoods, anymore than rich white people and poor
white people do.  Poor people of all colors live in the worst locations
and in the greatest danger, always.  Think back to when Paradise Creek
here in Moscow flooded some years ago.  Whose living rooms were
drowned, the folks up in the $300,000 houses in Fort Russell and Indian
Hills, or those in the more modest homes down on Blaine and Maybelle?

As for your criticizing the black leadership of New Orleans and
determining that "those people" have failed "their people" and thus are
just hunting around now for scapegoats, do you really want to go there,
Pat?  I might argue (with some justification) that you yourself are
desperately seeking some black Democrats to blame so that you can
protect your white Republican idol, George Bush.  A whole hell of a lot
went wrong in New Orleans, things that didn't go wrong in North
Carolina and South Carolina when hurricanes Hugo and Andrew hit.  FEMA
was run back then by a highly competent Clinton appointee; Hugo and
Andrew came far inland and hit the economically prosperous, not just
the coastal or river-dwelling poor; white people suffered in those
hurricanes, not just poor black people -- white people with a sense of
entitlement and the privileged expectation that their needs would be
met.  If you don't think that any of that might have accounted for the
faster, more satisfactory federal response, then you don't live in the
same world I do.

I suggested yesterday that Donovan board a bus for Kansas.  Might I
offer you a trip to Biloxi?  No, wait -- no need to go quite that far.
Why don't I just drop you off on Sprague Avenue in Spokane?  I'll come
back and pick you up -- just as soon as I've sold enough plasma to pay
for the gas.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com