[Vision2020] FW: Hurricane medical mess--I've given up

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Sat Sep 10 01:15:59 PDT 2005

B. J. and Other Visionaries:

B. J., thanks so much for sharing this!  Dr. Riegle's experience mirrors
what I've been seeing on the news.  Don't ask me which news because I've
been flipping through all the channels -- we have Adelphia digital.  No
doubt some will dispute the reports, but among the laundry list of problems
I keep hearing is "bureaucratic" snafus of the kind Dr. Riegle reports.
Tonight, I heard about a team of first responders who have been moved a
couple of times yet have only treated ***one*** person.

Regardless of where one sits on the political spectrum, the fact that people
have died and are continuing to die from the lack of such basics as drinking
water and medications while qualified volunteers are *unable* to reach those
in need is a clear indicator that the "system" -- be it local, state,
federal, or a combination of some or all of them --  is ***broken***.

In addition to donations, which those of us who are able need to keep making
past the point where it hurts, I think we all need to be demanding a
*critical* examination of what went -- and continues to go -- wrong so that
we can *prevent* it from happening again.  I've already posted that I think
there's plenty of blame to go around so I'd prefer not to address the
"politics," but I do think there must be procedural changes.  For instance,
I do not understand how I could know about the dire circumstances of those
at the Convention Center while FEMA claims to have not known about it!  I
know there are government-types who watch TV & listen to the radio, too!

I sincerely think that trying to play the "blame game" is a waste of time,
but for the sake of ***all*** of us, I do think that we need to look at all
the points where the process broke down so that we can fix it for future
disasters.  It is flatly unacceptable to me as a US citizen that untold
numbers of other US citizens ***died*** following a natural disaster from
the lack of such a basic things as drinking water and medication while
***qualified*** volunteers were/are being turned away.

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2005, Saundra Lund.
Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside the Vision 2020 forum
without the express written permission of the author.*****