[Vision2020] Blame Game

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Wed Sep 7 13:47:59 PDT 2005

In a V2020 post I didn't receive (I think my server is having problems since
I'm getting things out of order), Donovan Arnold apparently posted:

"We need to fight against the dispersion of food, water and emergency
medical treatment without first going through eight layers of government, a
committee for review, a 2/3 vote of the people, approval of the governor,
approval of the mayor, a social security card and two photo IDs from each
individual requesting assistance (as well as a form explaining why they need
the assistance and proof of income, bank statement, and proper documentation
of a disability diagnosed by a doctor), and a judge to decide on the
constitutionality of it all."

Well, will wonders never cease!  I knew if I kept reading long enough,
Donovan & I would be back in agreement on something, and it's happened
:-)))  I agree with Donovan in theory, and I'm not gonna think through the
ramifications of that right now.

But, when the lives of tens of thousands of our citizens are in *imminent*
risk due to a natural disaster -- this was truly a life-or-death situation
-- it seems absolutely bogus to me to fret about whose "responsibility" it
is to provide the life-saving aid.  In my book, it's the responsibility of
whomever can accomplish it.

I cannot get the thought out of my mind about the untold numbers of those
who survived the hurricane only to perish of dehydration a couple of days
later  :-(  It is truly unconscionable to me that those lives were lost
because of red tape or a request *supposedly* not being made to the right
person at the right time or in the right format . . . or for whatever
excuses may be trotted out.  Drinking water is one of the most basic human
needs, and that we had thousands and thousands of people suffering . . . and
dying . . . because "we" didn't get them water?!?!?  Give me a break!

And, I want to echo a sentiment expressed earlier by Dave Budge (I think):
for those who can, give until it hurts, but with the caveat Joan Opyr added
-- wisely and carefully.

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2005, Saundra Lund.
Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside the Vision 2020 forum
without the express written permission of the author.*****