[Vision2020] Is FEMA ready for Al Qaeda?

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 6 10:09:59 PDT 2005

In light of Pat's "why didn't they move" argument, and Jeff's haggling
over who's responsible, FEMA or the State of Louisiana, here's
something else to consider: it's been nearly four years since the
attacks of September 11th, 2001, and we are still not ready for a
large-scale disaster.  If New Orleans had been struck by a dirty bomb
rather than a hurricane, what would we be doing right now?  Would we be
arguing about George Bush?  Would we be defending his wholly inadequate
FEMA director?  Would we be asking ourselves why people "choose" to
live all bunched up in cities rather than dispersed throughout the
countryside, where they'd be harder to hit?  Why don't we open the
doors here in Latah County by reducing the number of acres required for
a home lot and help spread out the national population a bit?

God forbid an Al Qaeda operative with a van load of plastic explosives
(easy to make -- they sell the recipe in a little black book at gun
shows) should blow a great hole in the Dworshak dam.  How long would it
take to evacuate the lower levels of Lewiston?  Why do those people
live down there, anyway?  It smells bad.  There's a toilet paper mill
blowing stink across the whole city.  Sure, I like the Lewiston
Round-Up, but it's no Mardi Gras.  Why can't those lazy white people
move up the hill to Genesee or Moscow?  What's the matter with them?
If Dworshak goes, and Pat has to swim for it, it will be no one's fault
but her own.

Well, Pat's fault and George W. Bush's, and Dirk Kempthorne's, and
Michael Chertoff's, and the director of FEMA's.  After the creation of
a Homeland Security department, after millions of dollars have been
poured into restructuring the federal bureaucracy and into making war
on Afghanistan and Iraq, we now know exactly how our beefed-up state
and federal governments would respond to massive disaster here in the
United States -- poorly, slowly, and inadequately.

I was watching ESPN yesterday.  A college football player from New
Orleans who had just learned on Saturday that his aunt had been killed
by the hurricane learned on Sunday that his two younger brothers were
drowned in a gymnasium where countless people had gone to shelter.  The
City of New Orleans is awash with dead bodies.  Any diabetics who
weren't evacuated -- and you can take my word for it, New Orleans was
full of very poor Type II diabetics -- are now dead.  Insulin has to be
refrigerated.  And anyone needing an oxygen tank to breath is now dead.
  Dialysis patients are dead.  Epileptics are dead.  The poor, the sick,
the elderly, and children huddling in a gymnasium are all dead, all
drowned, all gone.

You blame who you like, Pat, but there's no need for you to wonder what
Andreas or I might say about you behind your back or offline.  I'll say
it to your face; if George W. Bush shot your dog, you'd say, "That was
one bad poodle.  People shouldn't have dogs.  I like cats."

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com