@SPAM+++++++++ Re: [Vision2020] Mississippi and FEMA

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 22:42:40 PDT 2005

To all --

A translation:

Personal accountability

Blame the victim.

Self-reliance

Blame the victim.

State Sovereignty

Blame the State.

The difference between a helping hand and a handout

Blame the victim.

The government can't make life perfect - only the individual can do that.

Blame Nature.

The state exists to handle eventualities and risks that no citizen, not even
the richest, can handle. We do not expect people to hire private bodyguards
to protect them against muggings. The police force does that. We do not
expect people to put out their own fires. We have the fire department to do
that. We don't expect people to pay for whatever unforseen medical disorders
they may encounter in their later years. We have Medicare for that. We
cannot expect peopel to 'just deal with' a hurricane on their own: living
through a hurricane is something that someone will do, once, maybe twice in
their life. We cannot expect people living through a hurricane to make
informed decisions: we have, as a society, delegated disasters from your
stove being on fire to a massive hurricane to the government.

We expect the Moscow Fire Department to not get drunk and run into trees,
and when they arrive, we expect actual professional firefighters, not the
mayor's brother's college roommate's daughter's cousin. Why can't we expect
that from our federal government?

-- ACS